I've been doing it wrong for years...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tzhu07, Dec 22, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

tzhu07

I used to pre-wash all dishes before running the dishwasher.

Recently I tried loading up the dishwasher without pre-washing and they came out just as clean. I cannot tell you how many total hours of my life and how many gallons of water I've wasted all this time pre-washing everything.

:(

2. macrumors 65816

Wasted water and money, lol.

I just rinse them off, then place in the dish washer.

3. macrumors Core

Dagless

I've never prewashed them. Maybe it's new washing machines that get the job done better? Don't think of it as wasted. Think of all the countless hours you had smooth hands.

4. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Hahaha, we pre-wash AND rinse before we use stuff. Our dishwashers have been horrible.

5. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I always prewash. Keeps the caked on food from gunking up the dishwasher.

6. macrumors 68040

prewash or rinse off? if prewashing then why have a dishwasher? i would rinse though to keep chunks of food from clogging up somewhere

7. macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah rinse any food so it doesn't clog up the dishwasher, but that's all I do.

8. macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

Why wouldn't you pre-wash your dishes? You've gotta scrub the junk off the plates/cups with a sponge -- things that the dishwasher most likely won't clean off by itself.

I figured everyone followed this method.

9. macrumors regular

pcmxa

Some dishwashers (newer ones) specifically recommend against pre washing.

10. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My in-laws have a Maytag that requires no prewashing. They put all their dishes and pots in without rinsing anything and they always come out squeaky clean and sparkling. Modern high end dishwashers with a stainless steel tub do an amazing job. Unlike the piece if crap contractor grade GE I currently have.

11. macrumors 603

SkyBell

With my brand new, terrible dishwasher (thank you, whomever furnished these apartment kitchens - the fridge sucks too) you must pre-wash, or everything is coming to come out looking like it did when you put it in.

Moral of the story - if you have a decent dishwasher, you can be lazy. Otherwise, grab a sponge.

12. macrumors demi-god

MacRy

I don't understand why you would have a dishwasher if you're going to prewash your dishes. Surely the point of having one is so that you don't have to wash up? I just run stuff quickly under the tap so that the big bits are off and then whack them in.

You wouldn't prewash your clothes before sticking them in the washing machine would you......or would you?

13. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've never pre-washed anything I've put in the dishwasher.

I live life on the edge, me.

14. macrumors 65816

My wife grew up with an industrial-grade dishwasher in her house, so they put anything and everything in there without even a rinse.

I've had to "train" her to at least remove the big bits. We have a standard contractor-grade unit in our town home. It does a good job, but it won't remove glued-on dried scum off of a heavily-loaded unit.

We do a little bit of pre-rinse, but not nearly as much as I used to.

15. macrumors 601

mscriv

Our dishwasher does a pretty good job, but I still scrape plates into the trash and then pre-rinse to put any left over "big stuff" in the garbage disposal. I figure a quick rinse is better than a repair bill for a jacked up dishwasher. I'm probably being over cautious, but oh well, that's just my routine.

16. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If I have to prewash a dish, I just go that extra step and finish cleaning it.

I usually just rinse and put it in the dishwasher.

17. macrumors 603

We just scrape the big bits off, and dump them. If the plates are terribly bad, the dishwasher still takes care of them. We don't put pots in though. Mostly because we will likely need the pot to cook with before it comes out of the dishwasher.

If I had to pre-wash dishes first, I'd get a new dishwasher. The whole point is to not have to wash them at all. Though I do remember my parents old dishwasher needed plates to be practically clean before using it. But that was in the 1970s. Now, any decent dishwasher should be able clean a stuff straight from the table, imo.

18. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If you have to prewash then it's probably time for new dishwasher as yours sucks.

19. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

What an amusing idea....wash your dishes before you wash them!

20. macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I think a lot depends on how good the dishwasher is, as they vary quite a bit in effectiveness. We just do a very quick rinse to get rid of the pieces of food on the plate. Works for us.

21. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

And there was me thinking this thread was about sex....

22. macrumors 65816

I don't have a dishwasher.

23. macrumors P6

dukebound85

As my dad likes to say, dish washers are not disposals, they are sanitizers

24. macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Don't wash dishes it adds a surprising flavor to the following meal and imagine how much water you will save!

25. macrumors 604

wordoflife

I always take out the left over food with just water only. So it looks clean, except it isn't. But you can't see anything. Not sure if its necessary or not, but I don't think my dishwasher is strong enough.