I've been sick for a few days, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Jun 30, 2004.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ok, so usually when I get sick, within 2 days its gone. I have been sick since Saturday night. Its like a high temperature, real sore throat, hard-to-breathe thing. I went to f-ball practice the other day with a small fever, I didn't do anything, and I left half way through. I thought I was going to pass out. I took my temp when I got home and it was 103.9! A new high for me.

Anyways, I have been taking Ibuprofen (advil), NyQuil, and I think imma start using my dads resperator (he has one for asthma). I am never really hungry but I have been drinking lots of gatorade/orange juice/water. I get real hot sometimes (temp wise), but I have the chills, so I take a hot shower/bath. Is that ok?

What else should I try? I'm going to newport beach for the 4th of july and I don't want to be sick at all.

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Don't use your dad's drugs. GO TO TO A DOCTOR!!!

It sounds like (from my experience and unexpert opinion) that you have some kind of respiratory infection. You may need antibiotics to get rid of it.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

We've all been there (and will again :rolleyes: ). I'd also recommend seeing a doctor, as that fever sounded pretty high. Just stay in bed and keep warm, even if you feel too warm. High temperatures will help you get better (hence the fever).

I wish you a fast recovery.

4. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Showers and baths are fine. I agree, see a doctor for this. The respitator won't hurt you, though it may not help. And don't drink gatorate, it actually dehydrades you in a de-active state because of the sodium content. You could have laryngitis or mono. Get a new girlfriend lately? :cool:

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

don't take anything to bring down the fever. your body makes more white blood cells at higher temps. just make sure you stay hydrated (water good, gatorade good).

you can help your body's immune system by consuming:
    - large amounts of liquid echinacea (the powder stuff is crap, i've found)
    - garlic
    - onions
    - carrot juice
    - cayenne
    - have a shot of wheatgrass every now and then

avoid:
    - smoking
    - drinking
    - meat
    - caffeine

sleep as much as you can, get fresh air, take a bath w/ 1 cup epsom salts, 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup sea salts. don't take anything that masks symptoms, otherwise you won't know when you're truly better.

floss your teeth often. i'm not kidding.

6. Dros macrumors 6502

Sounds like me when I had strep throat. A doctor can test for it, and prescribe antibiotics if it is a bacterial version. My doctor thought I had the bacterial version, and gave me antibiotics, but it turned out I had the more rare viral version, so I had to wait it out.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if i had the flesh-eating bacteria, i'd take antibiotics. but short of that, probably not. i haven't taken any in years, since i've figured out how to maintain my immune system.

i used to visit a chinese doctor. whenever i took antibiotics, he'd examine me and prescribe treatment for anti-toxicity, if that tells you anything about what antibiotics do to your body. "the cure is worse than the disease," he'd tell me.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I have to agree with Zim here, here are a few recipes to help:

Horseradish and Lemon Juice. Grate fresh horseradish in a bowl, add enough fresh lemon juice to make a paste. Take 1/2 a tsp 2-3 times a day. Disgusting, but efficiently dissolves mucus in the sinuses and bronchial tubes. ALSO can use radish juice mixed with carrot juice. Milder. Mix 5oz Radish Juice w/ 11oz carrot juice.

Cranberries. Excellent at opening up congested bronchial tubes. Good for preventative medicine too. Taste pretty good. Bring fresh cranberries to a boil w/ just enough water to cover them. Simmer 2-3 minutes.Drain excess water, puree cranberries in blender, strain off skins. Mix 2 tbsp in warm distilled water and sip.

Pineapple. Either cut into cubes, chew well and let juice dribble down throat BUT spit out pulp OR gargle with juice extracted from pineapple and spit out. Great for throat.

Fresh Citrus Juice. Excellent for fever, taken alone (or with water).

Other than that, all the things Zim listed...

I have been sick also, I feel your pain...

9. Dros macrumors 6502

I'd take them if I have giant pustules on my throat from strep. He can balance his immune system at his leisure.

I think the "anti-toxicity" tells me more about the doctor you saw than about the antibiotics, although some people do have adverse reactions to them. I can tell we'll disagree about many aspects of antibiotics. I'm happy to agree they are over-prescribed for many dieases that they won't even affect, and it is awful how they are used on modern farms, and leave it at that!

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it makes sense in chinese medical terms. he was an amusing guy who fixed a number of chronic things. here's some conversations we'd have when i'd go in and he'd look at my tongue:

him: aw, what happened? you had ice cream last night!
    me: yes! how did you know?
    him: <something about my body's dampness and i should avoid cold things>

him: aw, what happened?
    me: i've been taking antibiotics.
    him: now i have to fix that.

then he'd prescribe the same thing i'd get if i'd been bitten by a poisonous snake. and i'd always feel better. the whole chinese medicine thing was an eye-opening experience for me.

agreed 100%. big problem, imo.

11. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ok so I went to the doctor and luckily I had this pretty cute lady check up on me. She said my glands in the back of my neck are swollen, which usually means mono/virus. They took a blood test and checked for mono and it came up negative. She prescribed this pill that I take for 3 days, once a day, and it is supposed to cure my throat thing.

Weird though, I have all the symtoms of westnile virus, but I know i don't have it because it can't be down where I live.

12. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

What are the symptoms of West Nile virus infection?

Many people infected with West Nile virus have no symptoms and do not get sick or have only mild symptoms. When infection does cause illness, symptoms will usually appear within two to 15 days. The extent and severity of symptoms vary widely from person to person.

In mild cases, there may be flu-like symptoms, including fever, headache and body aches. Some people may also develop a mild rash, or swollen lymph glands.

Some individuals have weaker immune systems, and they are at greater risk of developing symptoms and health effects that are more serious, including meningitis, encephalitis and acute flaccid paralysis. Meningitis is inflammation of the lining of the brain or spinal cord. Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain itself. Acute flaccid paralysis is a polio-like syndrome that can result in the loss of function of one or more limbs. These conditions can be fatal.

For people with more severe illness, symptoms could include the rapid onset of severe headache, high fever, stiff neck, nausea, difficulty swallowing, vomiting, drowsiness, confusion, loss of consciousness, lack of coordination, muscle weakness and paralysis. Other symptoms that have been identified include movement disorders, parkinsonism, poliomyelitis-like syndrome and muscle degeneration. Anyone who has a sudden onset of these symptoms should seek immediate medical attention.

-----------------------------------------------------

I highly doubt this, but could this virus be at the beach? We don't have many mosquitos here in the desert, but I have been at the beach alot, and it says it takes a while for the virus to kick in.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

14. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ok, I just took my first one. They are called Zithromax (AZITHROMYCIN), 500mg tablets. I guess they will get rid of the bacterial infection I have. Hopefully.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

why did they give you an antibiotic? mono is a virus. this is the doctor crap that drives me crazy. if your ailment is indeed a virus, all the antibiotic is going to do is wreck your body's biological balance and, in turn, your immune system. it's just making you more sick.

16. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I don't have mono, it turned up negative. They said I have a bacterial infection in my throat.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks for the clarification

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    The Z-Pack... A marketing marvel. :)

I've never had issues with them, well tolerated and somewhat effective. Right now I am on Doxycyline. The doctor thinks lyme...

19. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

The Z-pac makes me feel better in a day usually, but it tears the hell out of my stomach. By the last pill I usually don't eat anything all day except before I take the pill. (But I could stand to lose some weight so I don't really see this as a negative. I still ask my Dr. for them when I get my usual lung infections. (I have asthma and when I get sick and don't take care of myself, it always turns into a lung infection.)

(Please forgive my spelling. I am on a PC with IE :(.... I miss my Safari!)

20. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

There are a LOT of diseases that can show up as "flu-like symptoms." It's almost an if-I-had-a-nickel sort of thing, because those are pretty much the body's generalized reaction to a lot of things.

Glad you went to the doctor, and hope you feel better in time for your weekend plans. :) If not, don't mess around with other people's medications, just go right back to the doctor. You may also want to take it easier over the weekend than initially planned, or you will probably hinder the effectiveness of your medication and slow your recovery.

21. Dros macrumors 6502

Since you are taking an antibiotic, it will wipe out the "good bacteria" that live in your gut and elsewhere. These bacteria help prevent bad bacteria from taking over and causing more disease. So you should try to re-establish a healthy native population by eating yoghurt with acidophillus cultures.

22. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    According to the LA Times a few days ago, there were some birds with W Nile down in OC, as well as San Bernardino Co...

23. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Nah, I'm sure I don't have it. I think this "Z-Pack" stuff makes my stomach upset, I just dropped a duce in the bathroom, although I went earlier. I've never had a reaction to any meds, so we'll see how this goes.

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm proud of you that you took the initiative to go to see your physician. Since it is a bacterial infection the antibiotic is a good idea and should bring a bout a full cure.

Please be sure to follow the instructions of your doctor and finish the prescription. Not finishing the the medication can cause re-infection. The bacteria can become resistant to the antiobiotic.

25. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

EAT YOGURT!!!!