I've converted my Windows using roommate. Sorta.

Discussion in 'Community' started by stoid, Sep 7, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

My roommate has been a Windows user all his life hating Macs. However, having seen my PowerBook in action for the past year, he's changed his mind. He likes the 'look and feel' of Mac OS X. He thinks Apple is a innovative company. He's drooling over the design of the iMac G5. He recently even asked me for the default OS X desktops, and is displaying them proudly as his wallpapers on his PC laptop. However, he is a big-time hardcore gamer, and has said that for that reason alone he will not be buying a Mac. So now when we are both down to the wire on homework, and his laptop is having issues, and mine is still running great, he tries not to be too jealous, and I try not to laugh too loud.

2. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

I don't know about everyone here but everytime some one 'converts' a windows user, it feels like Macs are a cult. I think that the word 'convert' has to be changed to something more inconspicuous.
    Anyway, let him stay windows so he can envy you longer. :D

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Just because someone buys a Mac doesn't mean they have to give up Windows. Use the Mac for the stuff it's great at and use their existing Windows machine to play games. Keep it unplugged from any network and reduce viruses and problems.

Also a Windows user that has a desktop and wants a laptop. They don't need to have a Windows laptop when a powerbook/ibook will do the job. They can keep their desktop as their main system. Technically they don't need to "switch" to enjoy a Mac.

4. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Dude, it's very simple.
    Your friend is a hardheaded dolt.
    If he likes Mac. He should get one. Doesn't mean he has to give up his little gaming machine.

5. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Since he's the only one with a car, I convinced him to drive me down to the grand opening of the Apple Store KC, and he love the style and functionality of the computers so much that he's decided that his next computer is going to be a Mac desktop! :D

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed. I've thought this for a long time. :)

Good point. I don't see why anybody has to give up their PC at all if they're looking for a laptop and own a desktop. Guess what? You can own both, and the laptop CAN be a Mac.

Keep the desktop for gaming. Why give up gaming if converting to a Mac? Why have to make that decision?

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I use Macs and PCs. I don't game, but there are some things you just can't do in Virtual PC ( especially on a G3 :eek: ). My next Mac was going to be an iBook, but now I'm thinking of buying an iMac. I think they're ugly, but I still want one. I plan on keeping my home-built, cheapy PC... but I still hate Windows and refuse to upgrade to XP from 2000. We had XP at my last job, and I hated it. To each his own, but I'm really impressed with what I see in 10.4 and can't wait for it to come out. Nothing wrong with having both.

Oh, and I love my iPod.

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i use both windows and mac both pretty proficiently and i game from time to time, but now that im back at uni im away from my windows box so i cant game, but the uni is predominantly windows so i get my windows fix there :)