I've done it...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bpd115, Feb 4, 2003.

1. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Well...I've made the switch...more like an add on then a switch though. Today I purchased a 17 inch 1 Gzh iMac with SuperDrive, 512 of DDR and bluetooth. I've been drooling over these iMacs since the first time I saw them last year but never had the cash to buy one (and still don't, hello education discount).

I remember starting my Computer days on a Mac when my brother went to Penn and bought his black and white Mac back in the early '90s....I remeber being mad that my dad bought our first home computer and got a Compaq (100 mhz) back in '94 and didn't go Apple....from there I moved on to my own 500 Mhz P3 Windows 98 machine in '99....and now I've built (and rebuilt) my own PC a few times since then.

My new iMac (status "Open" and shipping on or before 2-11-03) will be sitting above my P4 2.0 Ghz (Overclocked to 2.5 Ghz) with GeForce 4TI 4600 and DDR 333 (sorry I still speak component)...it will be plugged into my Windows XP Pro network at home (along with my PC, My fathers Athlon XP 1800+ and my Mom's 1700+)...

hopefully it will place nice with the others and I will remember how to use a Mac.

Anyway, happy to be on board finally!

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: I've done it...

Happy switching. Thought I will warn you, there will be a preformance decrease bewteen the 2.5 P4 and the 1 GHZ iMac, DDR included.

The network will be no problem. Apple still makes great software and makes everything 'just work'.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Hope you enjoy it. It sounds like a great machine.

You'll have a little time to read up on networking with Windows machines so you'll be ready by the time it arrives. From what I've read, it should be easy to set up.

4. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I am aware that the 1Ghz G4 will be behind my P4 in raw speed..but for what I want to use the iMac for (doing things in FCP Express, iDVD, iTunes, Photoshop Elements) I expect it will hold its own. Gaming won't be a main function....that is what my PC is for... The reasons I bought this machine are

1. I'm an IST major at Penn State (networking) and Want to learn the Mac platform (as many school districs use Macs)
    2. Based on Unix and I'm all for learning Unix with a nice OS X GUI on top..
    3. Minor video editing and photoshop work
    4. HTML and Web Design
    5. It looks FREAKIN cool.

Bascially I have my PC for Games and satisfying my "look at the cool hardware I have in here and can build myself" itch...and I want the mac for the ease of use, software, and just expanding my knowledge of Computers.....Windows bores me I need a new eXPerience :p

5. eyeluvmyimac macrumors regular

DUDE! Where were you when I posted before?? Oh yea, you're a recent switcher so you probably weren't around here though you may have been. Anyways, I'm coming to Penn State next year, and actually thought about doign IST as my major, they are building such a nice new building there that would be opened to me maybe, but I think I might do Comp Eng or Comp Sci Eng, not sure yet.

PM me!!!

6. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115

IST is a kick butt major...I'll pm you about it :)