I've downgraded to iTunes 6

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spencecb, Oct 26, 2006.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003
    I'm not sure if any of you reading this responded to my post last week about how all of the sudden iTunes 7.0.1 started crashing like mad on my iMac, but I have been forced to downgrade to iTunes 6.

I had such a huge hassel with this. I even took my iMac to my local Apple Store (which isn't so local, as it is an hour away). All they did was delete all of the iTunes preference files in the Library folder, along with the iTunes Library file in the iTunes Music folder. But they refused to tell me to do this over the phone. I had to drive two hours round trip just to have them do this, and it didn't even fix the problem.

It seemed to, when I was about to leave the store last nite. It was working fine. By the time I got home, however, the crashing resumed.

I called back today, and the same man that helped me last nite said "Oh, just download iTunes 6. There is a known problem which causes crashing."

What the ****. THis is the same guy telling me, the nite before, that there hasn't been an issue on the Mac side of iTunes 7 with crashing.

On top of all of this, Apple does NOT make it easy to download a previous version of any of their software. I think that is just bad customer service. They clearly have issues with the new iTunes, and they make it next to impossible to download a previous version.

I would have tried to go back to 7.0, but that is impossible to find. All links claiming to be 7.0 re-direct you to download 7.0.1. I didn't have any problems in 7.0.

But then again, I didn't have any problems in 7.0.1 until a week or so after I was using it it decided to start crashing without reason.

Any similar experiences?
  2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    Was it randomly crashing or crashing on certain files?

I had IT7 crash when I tried to change the name of a movie. It crashed so i had to restart IT7. Then I found the movie i had spent 7 hours (yes 7 hours) decoding and recoding for iTunes was corrupt. That pissed me off just a tad.
  3. Shadow macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Keele, United Kingdom
    Use AppZapper to uninstall it-it gets rid of everything.
  4. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    And previous versions aren't hard to find, if you know where to go...

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I haven't had any problems on my Macs (PowerMac G4, PowerBook G4). I actually had more problems with iTunes 6.

It was weird because with all the problems reported with iTunes 7 I was expecting trouble, only to have everything work flawlessly.
  6. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003
    iT7 was crashing with normal use. I would click on a music file, and it would play fine one time, and then when it switched to the next track on its own it would crash, or when I would skip to another song, it would crash.