I've got a Mail/Airport question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ll350, Dec 19, 2005.

1. ll350 macrumors member

Is there anyway to make Mail 2.0 automatically switch outgoing mail servers based on which wireless connection you are connected to?

I have to use my school's server on campus, and my ISP's when I'm at my apartment.

I was just wondering if there is a setting to do this, or will it require some scripting.

The funny thing is, It seems like it does this automatically sometimes, and other times I get that pop-up asking me to choose the correct server.

2. ll350 thread starter macrumors member

Do I smell bad or something?

36 views and not a single reply? Not even a lol! n00b!?!

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

It's much easier to get a GMail account, and then use smtp.gmail.com wherever you are... :)

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I have the same problem, and I haven't come up with a solution yet. I can receive mail off campus, but in order to send I use the PITA webmail.

5. Chasealicious macrumors member

Chasealicious

I'll throw my name in as the third college student who is annoyed when he comes home by the whole outgoing mail thing.

6. ll350 thread starter macrumors member

thanks, I thought I was the only one for while there. Guess we'll just have to wait for Mail 3.0

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Again, once you got a Gmail account, you can use smtp.gmail.com as outgoing server for all your accounts, if you want to.

Just remember to add your other accounts under Gmail's Mail settings -> Accounts -> Send mail as.

8. ll350 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Mitthrawnuruodo

I don't want you to think your suggestion went unheeded. I already have a gmail account, but had not considered the solution you proposed.

Although, I'm still partial to the idea of having the computer do all the hard for me, I guess I've gotten pretty lazy, since I stopped using windoze.

Thanks for the reality check.