Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grenadier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
...what is the Mac Pros PSU ?
Please, keep it as simple as possible for me, im not too well informed in the area of computers.
I know much more than your average person, but probably less than the people on these boards.
Will any GPU I throw at my (Soon to be) Mac Pro be sufficiently powered ?
Im talking power draining cards,
like nVidias new generation of GPUs (8xx0)

Or will I need some kind of new device ?
And if it will handle these cards, will it handle new GPUs for a long time to come, or will there be a point in a year or two where I will need to replace my PSU in order to use the latest GPUs ?

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
i hear that the mac pro psu is at about 980W

it has one spare power cable with the cd rom drive
however it can also use the 2 sockets on the mother board there 6 pin connectors there the ones to use for the vid cards

and from what ppl been saying it can output a good 225W for the vid card using the 2 6pin pci express sockets and the pci express slot itself

these is a user here in the forum that got the 8800 working already
i belive hes using only the cd rom power cable but not too use yet tryign to get more detail on it

as for power for future vid cards noone knows the 8800 max out at about 180W so in about a year 9xxx nvidias will prob need it's own power supply to run haha =)

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
The power cable in the optical bay is a bad idea.

Use the 6 pin plug on the motherboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.