I've got a screw loose!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cheese, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    The iMac G5 seems to be missing two of it's three screws! Probably from all the fan vibration! Is it possible to get exact replacements for these, and dare I ask, where would one find them? OBVIOUSLY, I could take the one remaining fastener to the hardware store and rummage endlessly through the bins while blathering incoherently about how great my Apple computer is.....

If ya have any idea, or have experienced this problem, of missing iMac G5 fasteners, PLEASE lemme know...
    Thanx

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Are you sure there are really two screws missing?

On the bottom, you'll see three screws, and two holes. There is one screw in the middle, and one screw on each side at the very edge. There will also be two empty screws about 2" from each side.

(for iMac G5 ALS models there will also be a light sensor near the middle)

- This is normal

3. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

You should be able to get a suitable replacement for your missing screw at any regular hardware store. Just make sure to bring one of the screws for on site comparison. I don't know how far you'de get going to an Apple store...they would have to order the screw which (quite like my posts) would take forever.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Just for clarification, I've attached a picture of the bottom of my iMac G5.

The screws are circled in red, the ALS in green, and the empty holes in yellow.

Attached Files:

5. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Based on the information as to the iMac, the only screws that are even visible from the outside are the recessed screws in the bottom. Being recessed, they can't come out. Have you been running the machine without its back on? I'm not sure how it's possible to lose screws in this machine.