I've had enough!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bousozoku, Nov 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The last few months as a moderator have been hell for me at times. I don't even enjoy reading Mac threads any more because it all feels like work.

This week has been lousy and not only can I thank my actions for promoting my current attitude, but I can thank a few of you who don't know when to quit. You can blame closing, moving, deleting of threads and posts all on me, if you wish. It's fine with me. I'll take all the blame.

I hope things go well.

2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Sorry to hear your frustration. Can you be more specific with the problems? It could just be a "phase" - you know, a bad week. Moderators are like police - we need 'em really! :)

EDIT: - ah, I see you said "the last few months". Quite a while, then.

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

It's a dirty job ...but someones gotta do it

i tip my hat at all the Mods for all there sterling work they do in keeping the forums on an even keel.

:)

EDIT: just had a radical thought - if the threads in question that are doing your head in and every other Mod and God for that matter, then simply just shut down say the Community and Political Thread for a week or two.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

When will the fall-out from this episode end?

Bous, please don't be another casualty. There's enough wounded feelings out there already — what you need is a small break from MR. Don't take everything on your shoulders...

*sigh*

5. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Common Bo, we're talking about a message board here. What's the big deal? Even if you, mudbug, wintermute, Edesign, and company took the year off, what's the worst that would happen? A little message board would get a little messy, die maybe. Chill out!

You do a good job. Just keep this thing in perspective.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You may want to point that out to some other people...:rolleyes:

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Time for a short vacation... So much is going on, sorry bousozoku. Hope you don't hold any hard feelings... :(

I think I'll take one myself and wait till things settle. Its getting a little depressing around here... Besides; Its mid-term week for me.

See you in a few...

8. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I have had a good think about this since this morning and would like to make a few points

1. Being a mod is a thankless job, and considering some of the abuse mud must have recieved this morning i am glad i do not have that responsability. I think members of the forum irrespective of their status needs to thank them for the work they do in keeping this forum as clean and tidy as it is.

2. Many members seem to shall we say abuse a thread and consistently break rules within that thread. Bragging about doing is not a way i would consider endearing myself to a group of moderators, let alone people who give up their time for you, remember that, this forum is so enjoyable becasue of them.

3. If a thread means so much to you, perhaps you should treat it with a little more respect.

4. I have read some abuse dished out to a particular mod on another site and if that is all they have to say, i am glad they have left, and if they haven't well i hope you apologise especially since all the mods made the decision not just one, personal insults of that nature are completly unacceptable

5. Give the mods a break, they deserve it:)

Oh and Bouso take a break, come back in a couple of weeks, we'll miss your helping hand

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

agreed on that one , just look at what they have to police

Threads: 157,429, Posts: 1,874,454, Members: 61,528

abuse not included - big numbers and alot of members on there soapboxes

i don't think i could do a Mod's job

10. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

While it is undeniably true that a given individual needs to trade places with another to truly experience what they are dealing with, periods marked by the discontent you have expressed have to be evaluated through the feedback from others.

All forums such as this one need moderators to keep the peace and enforce a fair set of rules. The best set of rules will never please everyone and the most obvious aspect of the human condition is that people are too fond of complaining, many times about issues that are very small in the global scheme of things.

I have found that moderators here do a good job, but it must be a thankless effort in many respects, which gives it so much in common with most other positions. Once you decide that the best decision was arrived at using the information available to you, there should be few periods of resulting anguish.

I hardly have the real scoop on most members here, but some can clearly be bigger busters than others. It must be remembered than the majority are appreciative of what moderators endure and as such would not be willing to jump into the lion's den. Hopefully, you will soon emerge from this recently hellish cycle with a new vigor and know that there is value in what you do here. I trust you will not hastily abandon ship.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I could. I'd be the fastest ban in the west. I'd even ban myself for posting stupid things like this. :D

Seriously though, from someone who was once banned, users get upset. I made mistakes (spamming), and got really pissed. I hinted at my anger, but I didn't outright criticize. I soon realized that it was for the best because by banning me, the boards became better. Now I don't fault anyone but myself. I think anyone with any common sense will eventually see that the mods are what makes this place so addictive. I love that threads are closed and action is taken. Sometime mods may jump the gun, but so what? They are human and they are just using their best judgement. It's up to the members to live with the mods' decisions, not the other way around.

12. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

Can we throw global warming, hurricane relief and the war in Iraq in there as well? Seriously W could use the break. (If anyone takes that seriously, you do not know me at all:) )..

In all honesty I do agree that the mods are there for us and in turn we should be there for them as well. I know I am one of the first to jump up on my soapbox when I feel I have been wronged but I am also just as quick to jump down and lend a hand to a brother in need. I am sure you can work out a deal with the other mods where you can take a few weeks off. (Hell Doc has been gone so long I forgot he was a mod:) ) Good luck and if there is anything I can do for you let me know.

Peace

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think there are enough mods for a board with this many members, and since all this MacRumors bizness is only supposed to be a hobby (and possible career for some of us.......Lacero! ;) ), maybe you just feel overworked and underappreciated. Its not supposed to be work, and it's not supposed to feel like work, either.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not that I have any idea what you're all on about, but Mods have to be like swans: all calm and stately on top and paddling like crazy underneath. I think you're swimming upside down....;)

15. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I think the mods have their work cut out for them here. Not long ago I was subjected to an attempt of public humiliation by very casual members here who went to extreme measures to make me look like an ass (all in an attempt to promote their own forum) and unfortunately the mods got caught right in the middle of it.

But hey this is just a public notice board and can be apt to abuse by the very few which makes it tough for the mods and the long time members here.

on a side note the guy who they thought I was contacted me and we sorted the situation out legally with those hoons so my apologise to the mods

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The moderators do an awesome job with little public appreciation. I just want you to all know that we all (okay, most of us :p ) love what you're doing. Keep it up, and come back soon bousozoku. :)

17. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Hmmmm, Its not the hardest job in the world, maybe a little perspective wouldnt go a miss?

"my last few months as a mod have been hell", come on! hell? What is it with over reaction around here?

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have nothing but respect for what you do. I know it can be hard moderating, having the duty to control boards as well as participate in them. I used to moderate this one site, KlikAcademy, I fought tooth and nail to become an admin there. I just appeared one day, talked a lot, got on with everyone, helped them all out which all lead to me being upgraded to moderator a few months later. But now I cant visit the site anymore. I just have no drive pushing me there.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you somehow. A moderator on such massive boards as this surely deserves respect.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Sounds like you do need to get away for a week or two from MR. It's understandable why some sites keep their mods identity a secret.

Lethal

20. angelneo macrumors 68000

Maybe take a few weeks of break and come back after that. I do not know what's going beneath all of this and I hope everything can work out. Maybe Arn can help to sort out all of this...

21. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Sad with all this frustration and bitterness on the forum these days. Sad to hear you've felt it for so long bousozoku. It's not fun to be both a mod and part of the community, but I wish you could be able to take it more lightly.
    I think, and I'm sure the VAST majority of members would agree, that all you mods do a very, very good job keeping this excellent site running.

Respect to you and whatever decisions you make.

A

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sometimes hard to do that when you're being accused of being a fascist homophobe.

23. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

I think that the mods here do a great job even if it means gettting some of your posts deleted.

24. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

There is no disputing how difficult it is to work under such conditions. However, given the posted rules of these forums, I would like to believe that those who engage in such vitriolic personal attacks are promptly banned. When the intention of a remark is to insult or incite, action must be swift and decisive, or else the rules are reduced to meaningless drivel and others will be emboldened by abusive conduct of those who do not belong here.

25. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I for one, appreciate the hard work of all of the mods, and fail to say so enough. We are usually all quick to criticize and slow to praise.

Your work does not go unnoticed or unappreciated, just unthanked.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.