I've just gone to safari...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by psychofreak, Jan 13, 2007.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I just switched from firefox to safari...and I have a few questions:

1. How do I make the close 'x' on the right of a tab, instead of the left (like FF)

2. How do I make clicking a link open in a new tab, not window automatically.

Thanks...

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

for #2, there is a addon called safaristand, search for it, it can force a link to open a new tab rather than a new window when u click it, no need to hold down any key when click, very close to firefox's single window mode.
    for #1, i don't know

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

for #1:
    from apps: In Safari preferences, in the general section, select "Open links from Applications in a new tab in the current window."

from in Safari: Not really settable in Safari to do this. I click the scroll wheel on my mouse as I don't like dealing with windows. It is possible to change your mouse behavior to command click with the left mouse button - as far as I can tell, doesn't affect anything else. You might have a funny app that uses command click though.

4. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

5. UserofMacOSX macrumors member

UserofMacOSX

If you hold Command while clicking a link, it should open in a new tab. I don't know if you can move the Xs.

6. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Shortcuts are your friend here. Who cares where the X is, CMD-W will close the window. You said you're using the trackpad, then CMD-click the link. Really, it's not that hard.

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yeah, I always used Command + W, Command + Q on my 'Books.

The "X" on the right or left is really just a cosmetic thing. Neither one is better, so why not just use the Safari way?

8. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

In firefox e.g. I was in the forum spy, i cmd-clicked 5 links I wanted to check out, then went through them. In safari, if I cmd-click a link then it opens the link in a new tab and brings that tab to the foreground...any way to stop this?

BTW, I switched because I found inquisition, one of the best plug ins ever...

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh, whats that inquisition?

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Go to Safari's preferences, go to Tabs, and un-check "select new tabs as they are created"

11. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I think he's talking about this. Haven't tried it out yet myself, but looks awesome.

12. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Thanks
    It is awesome, like quicksilver (which I don't use, because I have only a few apps) but for search. My productivity (read: time wasting) has doubled!

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ooops, do u like it because it looks awesome or because the function is useful?

14. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

I love the function. Looks are great too, but i would use it anyway.