I've just ordered my G4/800

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by abe, Feb 14, 2002.

1. abe macrumors member

Jan 8, 2002
    I've just ordered my new G4/800, it should arrive tomorrow... :)

I guess a made a good deal, since I paid $120 less than the G4 at the apple store and will get another 512 MB RAM for free.

I'm gonna use it for Webdesign and Office use and it will send my good old Beige G3/266 (with 466 card) to server business.

By the way, the G4/800 with the ATi 7500 is faster at 2D than the 933 or dual 1GHz with GeForce4 (test results by macwelt germany)! Since I'm not gonna use this Mac for gaming or 3D, I guess that it will rock ...

Anyone else out there got the new G4/800?
  2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
  3. abe thread starter macrumors member

Jan 8, 2002
    Nice ensign.

I'm getting my Mac tomorrow morning before 9am. I reservated the whole friday for my new Mac ... I'm just feeling like a little kid before Xmas ... :)

Next step is moving to pure Mac OSX software...
  4. Falleron macrumors 68000

Nov 22, 2001
    Sorry guys. I just got my PowerMac 1Ghz Dual with 17" Apple LCD (ATI card)!!! This thing rocks!! However, I have not yet been able to test the frame rates because all my games were on the PC which I just got rid off! (I have had a mac as well for the last 15 or so years but not used it for games).
  5. abe thread starter macrumors member

Jan 8, 2002
    Dual 1 GHz , wow. Must be a fine Computer.

By the way, John Carmack (chief Doom developer) does not recommend buying the GeForce 4MX as a gaming card (for future games like Doom3...). It has no vertex and pixel-shader hardware support.

Recommended are ATi 8500 or GeForce3Ti/GeForce4 ...
  6. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    yesterday i went to compUSA to play with the iMac. they didn't have it go figure.

i DID get to play with the 933/GF4MX machine. All I have to say is WOW its fast. I can't even IMAGINE the dual GHZ machine. I want a 933 so bad now. I get the feeling that revisions of the G4 give you MUCH more than extra MHZ as far as performance goes.
  7. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2001
    Well the 2mb DDR L3 cache adds a lot of speed that just mhz cant. Anyone know why Apple is on a trend to make whatever is their lowest tower not have a L3 cache? They started that with the quicksilvers, and that made the 733 about the same speed (and sometimes slower!!) than a single DA 533. (the DA 733 DID have a L3 cache. they removed it for the quicksilvers) Now they did that with the single 800, and how much faster than the 733 could it really be? I'm really feeling good that I bought a dual 533 when I did, although I could get a dual 1ghz for the same price now.

8. abe thread starter macrumors member

Jan 8, 2002
    The 3rd level cache shurely helps with processor intensive tasks.

But I just wonder when this happens to a "normal" user. That's maybe 2-3 times a day. So it's time to get another cup of coffee ... :)
  9. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    hey abe...if you don't mind me asking...where did you buy your new powermac from?
  10. abe thread starter macrumors member

Jan 8, 2002