I've lost my Quicktime Pro key...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mpw, Nov 30, 2004.

1. mpw Guest

...I had an iBook which developed a nasty ticking and grinding from the hard drive. I copied my 30GB hard drive to an external FW drive just before the iBook died and replaced it with a new iMac G5, so far so good.

My problem is although I've got QT with the new iMac I had upgraded to QT Pro on the iBook thinking the registration code would still be available (as I never wrote it down anywhere) but I can't find it on the external drive.

Anybody know where it might be?

My 30GB copy was a straight copy with system files etc.

Any help apreciated.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

If you cloned your hard drive, you'd have it. If CCC'd (Carbon Copy Cloner) my boot disk many times, and I never lost my key.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....a good reason to keep those email receipts that Apple sends when you buy something - I keep the email *and* a printed copy...oh yeah!

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm guessing you might need "/Users/[your account]/Library/Preferences/QuickTime Preferences".

I don't see the registration in the plist files anywhere, and the file mentioned above does indeed include the registration number, although I don't know if it's a reference to it (a coy) or the definitive source of it.

8. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Is your disk copy bootable? If so, you could connect it, boot from it and then launch QT and retrieve the serial number.