I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

We need to create a liberal-run TV network.

Let me be clear...I am not advocating a network that would slant the news and turn it into liberal propaganda. But I am continuously appalled at the way the so-called "liberal" media (the networks, various newspapers, etc.) almost completely ignore the idiocies, arrogances and outright crimes of the Bush administration.

Here's Joe Conason of The New York Observer talking about the Jeff Gannon scandal:

It just galls the hell out of me that this and every other crooked move by this administration is not being trumpeted by the "liberal" press. You know, Nixon looked like a piker compared to the crap being pulled by Bush, Rove, Cheney and others...and they crucified Nixon. What happened to our news outlets?

So I say it again...we need to ask well-to-do guys like George Soros to invest in a TV network that will not be afraid to ask tough questions and tell the truth. I firmly believe that, in today's chickens**t news environment, such a network would make a big splash. People are, after all, flocking to The Daily Show and Air America for their dose of non-bulls**t news.

If we don't come up with more truth-oriented media, and come up with them soon, then we are willingly allowing the brainwashing of America, and we deserve the butt-kicking we get from those Fascist neo-cons. :mad:

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The reich-wingnutters. But they say lots of things that aren't true. :eek:

:D

4. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Do you think there is a purpose there?

Do you think they want to discredit what little real reporting is done these days?

Do you think they are trying to cow the MSM?

I'm sure you do, but I thought it was worth repeating ;)

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmmm... what possible incentive could they have to do such a thing?

6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It's puzzling, everything they do is so good for the country :rolleyes:

Why would they need to put someone like Jeff Gannon in the Whitehouse press corp?

The questions he asked were so hard! and Talon News is where everyone in the know turns to get unbiased information. How could any news outlet owned by GOPUSA ever be bias?

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The other night, the usually reliable NewsHour did a segment on the blogosphere's influence on the media. In the setup piece, they covered both the Eason/CNN and the Guckert/Gannon affairs. Then, when they got to the panel discussion, they spent the next ten minutes debating Eason's resignation. Neither the moderator nor the three guests mentioned Guckert/Gannon even once. I rarely find myself shouting at the TV while watching the NewsHour but I was livid.

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Is anybody here old enough to remember The Washington Post's Watergate investigation? It was an exciting thing to watch. New stuff was coming out almost every day, usually on the front page.

And if they couldn't get a critical piece of information because Nixon was stonewalling, they'd print that on the front page. And it got to the point where nobody could ignore it anymore.

And that's the hump we can't get over. Because all these media outlets are afraid of getting their press credentials pulled, or simply because they're owned by big businesses, they won't push on any of the Bush scandal issues. That's why we can't rely on outlets like ABC or The New York Times.

Anti-Bush blogs and books are fine, but interest in them seems to die off quickly. That's why I think we need ongoing investigative reporting. I saw former Republican character assassin David Brock, who is now on the side of the angels, on C-Span's Book TV this weekend, and he said much the same thing.