Ive Switched!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by manic, Oct 18, 2006.

1. manic macrumors regular

:D
    Im really impressed with my new 2Ghz Macbook. Ive jus fitted it with 2GB of dual channel Mushkin ram (for which I paid $250) and I never run out of it. However, Im still struggling with file management. Its so different from windows. But im getting the hang of it!

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If you have specific questions, ask. Somebody is always up somewhere and ready to help. Best wishes.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Congrats.

I had the same problem with file management. One thing that I hated at first, but now love is how all your applications are in one folder. Also, with spotlight, you should never find that your important document is buried in a folder in a folder in a folder...

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Awesome, welcome to the Mac.

About file management, when it comes to photos and music, let iPhoto and iTunes handle all the file management for you. Anything you want to do with those files - do it from within iPhoto/iTunes.

As for general file management, anything below the divider line in the Finder's sidebar is stuff that relates to you, anything above it is system-wide stuff and you really shouldn't mess with it. Documents go in the documents folder, movies in Movies, applications in Applications - it's pretty self-explanitory.

Any questions you have regarding anything, don't hesitate to post them - we're only ever happy to help switchers get the best possible experience.

5. jTreu macrumors 6502

6. minnesotamacman macrumors regular

Congrats! I made my switch back to Mac 3 years ago and have never looked back at the Windows world. I have loved every minute of using a Mac, and love every machine I have owned. I have a 17" Powerbook now, and a Mac Pro, which happens to be my favorite Mac of yet.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is a software called "xfolders", it works pretty much like total commander under windows, and very easy to use.
    [​IMG]

8. Dubba macrumors regular

manic - congratulations! Enjoy it; I can't wait to sell my 15" MacBook Pro and get my own MacBook. Enjoy...

9. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

VERY IMPORTANT FOR FILE MANAGEMENT: command-clicking a spotlight result will bring that result up in a finder window.

10. ddekker macrumors regular

file management

I feel your pain... but there are some great tips out there... read some of the stuff on the links below.... some are my bitches... the other is a tip site that is kind of new, but the site seems to take questions you have very personal and will answer or solve everything I ask (and no the tip site is not mine...lol)

http://trialsoftheswitch.com/index.php/2006/10/12/finder/

http://www.learntomac.com/index.php/2006/10/17/adding-the-path-button-to-your-finder-toolbar/

good luck..

DD

11. BrianSalts macrumors regular

OMG THAT IS SO USEFUL!

i learn a new trick everyday, it's unbelievable how much better a mac can be for certain tasks.

like, i can screenshot a portion of my screen to my clipboard, and not just save it as a file, with a click of my mouse.

that is so freaking convenient for powerpoint graphs etc.

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Arrrrr! :mad:

Use correct grammar! You nearly gave me a heart attack!

Ive switched indeed...

:p

13. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

All your personal files and folders have a specific place in your Home folder.

You can create new subfolders easily and then either designate where they go when you save them or drag them into the appropriate folder within your Home folder.

Desktop
    Documents
    User Library
    Movies
    Music
    Pictures
    Sites
    STORAGE
    INSTALLER .dmgs
    Authorization Numbers
    Updates
    Tax Returns
    etc.

For easier access to your Applications click on your Hard Drive icon to open, then drag A COPY of your Applications Folder just to the left of your Trash Dock Icon.
    This will create an alias of your Applications Folder .

Also, you can slide your Dock Icons left or right to arrange them as preferred.
    You can "poof" any Dock Icons for Applications you don't use very often by lifting them up out of the dock and " Keep In Dock " the ones you do use all the time by right clicking on the icon.

I strongly recommend reading through the MacRumors Beginners Guide and the
    Networking Guide and getting familiar with your KeyBoard ShortCuts.

Just search " Guides " here in the help forums.

Enjoy.