Iwata Talks with CNN Money.. quite interesting

Discussion in 'Games' started by takao, Mar 29, 2006.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

linky:
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/29/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

hot spicy parts:

"The Revolution has 512 MB of flash memory, allowing for some initial storage space. The system also has a slot for SD memory cards, which are widely used in digital cameras and can hold a greater amount of data. Most importantly, Iwata mentioned, were the USB ports that are built into the Revolution "so practically any storage method can be used". "

perhaps External USB Harddrives ? usb sticks ?

" "A number of different publishers are now interested in participating in this virtual console system," he said. "As far as the details, though, I believe we will wait for another opportunity before discussing them." "

further consoles ? anyone want to take guesses ?

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

How about an Amiga or C-64 emulator? :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to threadcrap, seriously, but I'm just not getting the attraction of the ability to play ancient games. Sure, they're a fun novelty but after a few hours it wears off.

I just don't consider the ability to play games from bygone eras "revolutionary." :confused:

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

all i know is i will own all the Zelda games again. and LTTP will take up many many hours.

So novelty after a few hours nope.

And all my wonderful Sega games that i miss. Altered Beast ><!!!

yay excite bike ^_^

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Only old games i'm interested in is from the N64,Dreamcast era...not interested in the old Nintendo games(well some of em).

Bless

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Why are all my little predictions coming true? Shard! :D

Now it's official I can rest easy. get another external HDD case. one to match my Rev of course, get a nice little 30 or 60gb. At that space I could easily afford a super fast RPM drive too. So it's all good! Very good.

Further Consoles... hmm. They get an Amiga emulator, ooh, what about Amstrad? They released those games for free a while ago. Maybe they'd appear on the Rev and be free there too?

6. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

the C64 would be awesome but unlikely with all those different developers ... especially since nowadays all the loading would be eliminated (with more than 17-18 millions sold it's still the best and longest selling computer in history)

from the link:

" It's entirely possible that some downloads might not be permanent, either, making additional storage space less important.

"We can set some limitations as to the time period a piece of downloaded content can be played," said Iwata. "Or, we may opt to let users play as long as they want. This gives us a flexible business model." "

so they might make it that way .. play a game for the week for 50 cent or something like that or make demos limited to 1-2 hours before you buy

that aside you know a lot of people missed great games back then .. sometimes because they had little money or simply because there were no way to know which games will be released when etc.

i don't consider it Next-Generation either (XBLA ;) )

7. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

hey.. not so fast.. it's not confirmed yet.. just very likely
    i hope they come out with those stuff at E3 at least (supporting all sorts of USB mass storage devices would i guess finally lead to myself buying something like that.. if it's a mp3 player to store things on it or the long due external HDD)
    i keep fingers crossed

just thinking that they might get 1% of the c64 is pretty spectacular with over 17.000 commercial games released for that
    what are other guesses ? Atari ? or some other obscure console like the turbo fx which never really made it to europe ?

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I guess everyone had missed this photo earlier?

2 USB right in the back. I am using a standard IDE harddrive with a cheap $20 USB2 enclosure with my Xbox360 now... a good route to go, and there are a lot of options (3.5" are standard hdd size, smaller are for laptop drives). :)

Or you could get a 30/60GB iPod. ;)

9. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

w00t, now I can buy a next gen system to play 10 year old games :rolleyes: talk and about up and coming advacments not taking me down memory lane

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I think that the old games downlods are not what will make the Revolution "Revolutionary". It's simply added value.

Also, let's not forget that Nintendo did mention (searching for a link) that new games could also be distributed this way. With the cheap cost of the revolution dev kit, this could open the console market to thousands of small independant developers. (Satan sam revolution? ^_^)

I'm also waiting for the last revolution "big" mystery feature to be revealed at E3.

Straight from the mouth of topic starter of the wastelanded "Fake-olution" thread. ;) Remember. This is a feature, not the whole system's vocation.

11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Actually, thanks for bringing that up. XBLA mimics a lot of this and my criticims apply to it as well. For example, I purchased Gauntlet ($4) on a whim and fooled around with it but, at the end of the day, it's still Gauntlet. Yea, I got to experience my high school days (ack, is it really that old!) by playing the green elf, but it's an empty playing/gaming experience today than it was before. It's cute but not worth having around. Certainly it has no draw that a library of 1,000 such titles would have any differently. Interestingly my daughter enjoys playing Gauntlet.

However, I do think XBLA and Nintendo are onto something with the new arcade games: quick, easy to play, and fun. On XBLA there's Hexic HD and Geometry Wars..."new" games that fill this arcade experience.

But my topic and criticism isn't really against these new games, it's about the older titles. The virtual console and the ability to download these games (even on XBLA) is more of a gimmic than a real feature. Again, nothing revolutionary here, IMO.

12. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

What's with all the negatives? The download service will be a "unique selling point". It'll still play new games. As far as I'm aware the Xbox 360 has no unique selling point vs. the PS3 and Revolution (apart from Faceplates and some other media stuff?), well I'm just guessing here anyway. Oh, and I'm not really a fanboy ;)

13. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

well that the revolution has 2 usb 2.0 was known from the beginning but if they will support external USB storage devices was just speculated (here too as far as i remember) but nobody were betting any hands on it like with some apple rumors ;) after all nobody knows what they are planning sometimes ...

yeah but i wonder how they will protect the files on such storage devices .. i guess it will be some interesting DRM system including system you downloaded time remaining etc... with such a system they could even say "you are able to take this game to a friends house and play there" or they could say that you can't, depending on the publisher's wishes (*cough* EA *cough*)

"Sounds like a plan" ;)

thinking about this external storage thing... you it was also speculated a lot about DS downloadable games which then get transferred through wireless for the DS to play but i just thought about the front thing under the drive which can be opened of which everybody thinks that it will house the SD card slot.. but judging from the size of the lid there has to be something more .. wouldn't it make a lot of sense to perhaps put a DS cartridge slot there as well for copying DS software on a rewritable cartridge ?.. you know if they are willing to support HDs to save games etc. then this might just the next step for supporting smaller developers selling games through an online store not only for the revolution but for the DS as well

edit: for the new games thing you don't have to search a link srobert it actually is stated in the link above as well ;)

"While the Virtual Console's focus so far has been on classic games, Iwata said Nintendo fully plans to use it for new titles as well." etc.

offtopic: i have to urge to post a lot simply because of the fact i have some unpleasant work to do involving an presentation with a rather ... well ... not so interesting topic

14. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

The 360 USB ports are read-only, however; you can't write to them.

15. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I hope USB flash drives are usable. 1gb USB drives are getting really cheap (more so than SD cards).

I missed most of the N64 games, except 007 (which won't be available anyways), since I didn't own one. I'm looking forward to the Zelda games and Paper Mario most. I am sure there will be others I will want to play.

There are a few SNES games I'd like to revisit or play for the first time, but I think the only NES games I will be interested in are the light gun games. :p

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I doubt this is a hardware limitation though, likely OS restriction so they can sell their overpriced $100 20GB hdd/Premium stuff.

17. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

off topic: i heard that you can rip music and initially thought that you put them on external HDs etc. while the game stuff has to stay on the internal so the music has to remain on the internal too or so ?

(man a paper about "Xpath location path equivalences" in front of me and i get confused about the 360)

18. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

owning every single nintendo unit minus DS, I myself have grown tired of them but were all intitled to our views correcto? Lets just say, thats no big news considering emulators have existed on PC's from the dawn of time. woopdy, look, im playing Mario. wait, i played that and beat that 15 years ago.

Its like waiting for a new beemer and in the up coming press conferences before them, they claim that it will be able to do 20mph. yay? no, tell me things i can do that we havent seen yet.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think XBLA, Nintendo's Classics, the massive, MASSIVE number of emulator users makes it pretty evident that old games are still good.

I also like how you think everybody is just like you. How no other opinions or tastes matter. I never played a whole plethora of these classic games; Zelda 2, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country series, Link to the Past (not to completion), Mario Bros 2, Contra series, Megaman series. Just them off the top of my head. I would give anything to play them again (I'm no sad emulator user either :p ) and buying all those consoles and finding those games in Europe would be too damn hard to start with.

Add in there my parents want to play those old games again, my sister is stoked as hell to get Mario Kart 64 again.

Does this hurt you? I still play all my old games still. More so than new games. For the majority they have waaay more gameplay, more replayability, just all round better than 99% of what's out now. Except maybe Smash Bros Melee (I have 30 full days clocked on that :D )

Besides those old games are just perfect for new comers. They can see where the game started off at. Perfect for the old folks who love nostalgia (me). And will make a lovely supplement to a system looking towards the future in terms of interaction. Old and New. AND I can lock up my NES, N64 and GC in the attic! Saving space, increasing the number of free plug sockets, and preserving vintage consoles! w00ts.

20. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

i can make an analogy as well:
    what if mercedes would come out and anounce that they are making brand new 300 SL (W198) and it will be available in juli .. and not only the 198 but also they will be put the C111 into production.. or the W100/W111/W113 ?
    you know what ? all hell would brake loose ;)

21. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Let me put your entire post to shame. but were all intitled to our views correcto?
    ohh...oohhhh....OOHH. I guess you didnt read that part did you? Too busy fanboying it out? ohhh. ohh I see. its ok though. Guess me saying im not impressed of it somehow made Mode Fanboy into over drive and state that I think everybody thinks like it and some how it hurts me? Just say no to Fanboy feelings. its ok, really

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Takao! You cannot make any suggestions that old things are good! We all want adverts in games, extreme realism, no fun!

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly. So why do you constantly say that everything Nintendo do is wrong? Entitled to opinions yes, but don't make it sound like everyone else wants what you want.

And if you're talking about Fanboy Mode, don't you recall that thread you posted about Iwata, about a strategy that... you know... worked? *cof DS cof* :rolleyes:

24. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

so wait, is this you agreeing that you blew my comments out of perportion? Entitled yes and great. Same can be said about every comment made yet people make comments on "omg, PS3 in game add" or "revo is a revolution indeed" but I dont see you going in there posting and saying well not everybody thinks that. So again, all your doing is justifying your view on pro nintendo and anti other system topics while I do the same. its just somehow, im wrong because im on other side of the view while you can do the same and its ok because your on the other side.

25. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

offtopic:
    if todays games would actually be providing extreme realism then i would understand that actually i like extreme realism if it does include more than just graphics (i just fooled around today in il-2 with the engines... man those me-262 jet engines are hard to control)

and please can you guys leave ? i mean the last one got wastelanded
    if you want to fight: forums.gamespot.com sub forum: System Wars