Iwata's GDC keynote concludes- Zelda DS, Revolution, wow!

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Mar 23, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=164

Brief recap (quotes from IGN, Gamesarefun, and GameIndustry.biz's coverage):
    - Zelda DS is cel-shaded, looks like Wind Waker, and titled The legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass;
    - Revolution will have Sega and TurboGrafix titles downloadable!

Nintendo's press release states:
    - E3 will be the Revolution blowout, and it will be playable.

Awesome. I hope they release screenshots of Zelda.
    EDIT: 640x480 version of the video here:
    http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=166

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

More than 1000 Sega Genesis titles :eek:

Shining force, here I come.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats great...i was waiting for Link to hit the DS. Sega/nintendo/TurboGraffix(box/bounce adventure?) games yes please!;)

Bless

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ooohhh... all awesome news. I am absolutely estatic that they are doing a 3D Wind Waker style Zelda on the DS... I was afraid we'd get a Four Swords type game. This one won't come fast enough for me. I am hoping that they announce some sort of WiFi play for it at E3 and pray they manage to keep on schedule and launch it for the holidays this year.

5. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I hope all of this brings Nintendo back up there. I love their stuff and will buy the Revolution and Zelda: Twilight Princess for sure. Maybe even the one for DS. :)

6. therevolution macrumors 6502

You mean Bonk's Adventure? That was a great TurboGrafx title... I wonder how well it plays today...

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

DS zelda and genesis/turbografx were perhaps the biggest things of the keynote... together with nintendos own back catalog their virtual console catalog is going to get huge

wasn't the genesis compatible with their old master system as well ? so there are coming further games as well ... i wonder if they can bring the other sega consoles to the VC as well ... like the saturn

8. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You know, the Turbografx was before my time. What were the games like?

I'm curious as to how far the backwards compatability goes. We know there are 1000 genesis titles. Will there be 32X titles? Sega Saturn and Sega CD titles? Dreamcast? Sega Master System?

Sega Saturn and Sega CD games would be too big to download to the flash drive I'd imagine, but it would be awesome if you could purchase an emulator and just pop the games in the CD drive. The Dreamcast could be possible as well, as I've heard that hacked drivers can let PC's read the disks, so I suppose an emulator could be made for that as well if the system has the power.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^It was just like the other wonderful machines that didn't make it....it was ahead of its time but just didn't catch on and the controllers was great along with great titles.

TB 16

I cant remember any Sega CD games except sonic and night trap(i think)

Bless

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

photos _were_ allowed

go to gamefront.de and scroll down untill you see the news for zelda.. they have 4 pictures.. i think from wired.com

even better:
    nintendo has a gameplay video up
    http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=64wsG8LoGw3vuttzAr5zU-s70OLsg6Fm
    direct link to the video
    http://media.nintendo.com/mediaFiles/fDp6jkG4NYgUu74upE_kpwhmLp5Xq3-f.mov

edit: damn the video is sweet..
    taking notes/marking stuff on dungeon maps .. check
    painting the way the boomerang should fly .. check
    painting course for ship... check

11. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Really? Sweet- one site claimed no cameras were allowed after the first five minutes. Strange.

12. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

I hope they release Sega CD games for the Revolution. I never finished Willy Beamish or Night Trap!!!!

Man....great news today! I can't wait for E3. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures!!

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've been out all day too! I knew I'd come back to something big. firstly had 4 hours sleep, into university for 4 hours. back home. go to Trafford Centre. fall in love with this Midi keyboard (£60 too!). spent 5 hours on busses today. got in. died.

Mega drive games AND Super Nintendo! bloody nora. Sorry, but forget the PS3 now. no amount of PS1 games come CLOSE to the legend that was the 16 bit. Sonic 2, Super Metroid, Legend of Zelda. They are combining the best systems of yesteryear onto one console. simply amazing. just utterly amazing.

If they got Amiga games on there. Then I literally would sell my body for a Rev.

14. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I started downloading this a while back on some other site. So far it looks fantastic.

Are Capcom making this too? Just I liked the Capcom Zelda games, but they were not close to the Nintendo Zelda.

The way the Z appears, and turns into the hourglass. Oh Zelda. You have my heart.

16. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've just converted the trailer and I'm going to put it on my DS and show it to a lot of people :D

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

OMG. I just got done watching that Zelda video and I am seriously gonna cry. Because I can't have it RIGHT THIS SECOND. I hope the let you (and require you to) pan and tilt the camera angle to give it more depth than a straight 2D top down adventure... I am also still hoping for a multiplayer/WiFi feature. Maybe a more difficult co-op version of the single player game, with a special dungeon that you need 2+ players to access? Sadly doubtful thought, there's never been much in the way of multiplayer for Zelda games, except the Four Swords.

Ok, just watched it again. I love the boomerang! I haven't been this excited for a game since... uh... ever?

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Notice they've only shown dungeons and the boat bit (OCEAN!!!). Probably either means it's very early on, or the overworld is going to be very beautiful. or something else I daren't think.

19. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There's some overworld... right in the beginning Link is smashing up on some beasties in the forest. It does look good though!

20. socamx macrumors 6502

Revolution just keeps sounding sweeter and sweeter. Nintendo might have a real winner on their hands here.

21. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Zelda...on...my...DS!:D
    So...friggin...excited!

22. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Highly doubt they would release them as being downloadable, WAY too big. Would be interesting if you could pop the discs in though.

Sonic CD without the FMV or 32X games would be very plausible though.

If anyone wants the best Zelda DS video out there, direct link straight from the big N themselves.

http://media.nintendo.com/mediaFiles/fDp6jkG4NYgUu74upE_kpwhmLp5Xq3-f.mov

23. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

This is one of the games I've been waiting for. The ability to draw boomerang shots, ship paths, ¡¡¡take notes on the map!!! This is just another thing that Nintendo will have me waiting for.

Current list:
    Revolution (Please come out soon!)
    DS Mario Bros (Been playing the SNES version out of excitement)
    DS Metroid (online fps, stylus works great, I can't wait)
    DS Zelda (the 1st Zelda was the first game I ever played on my NES, and still one of my favorites)

I haven't actually been anticipating anything game related for years and years, and now Nintendo has 4 things that I can't wait for. I tip my hat.

24. jaywong87 macrumors newbie

jaywong87

awesome..did anyone see the footage for the new Zelda on the DS? It's looks awesome. It's in the style of the LoZ: WW and in an isometric view (with occasional behind the back 3D camera)...

25. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

i absolutely love the perspective in this game. it's almost like a combination between 3d zelda and 2d top-down zelda :D

this is going to be a big year for nintendo for sure.