Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's first-generation iWatch is awaiting certification from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) before it enters mass production for a launch this Fall, claims Chinese website Laoyaoba (Google Translate, via GforGames). Citing inside sources, the site claims that Apple has already finalized the design and specifications of the watch, noting that the company is trying to get the device certified as medical equipment.

basis_fitness-tracker.jpg
It was reported earlier this month that Apple had met with the FDA in December to discuss a number of topics, with some suggesting that Apple might be laying some groundwork for the iWatch. However, a memo issued by the FDA noted that the dialogue merely revolved around its guidance on mobile apps and making sure that the technology industry and regulators are on the same page.

Laoyaoba also claims that the iWatch will come with a number of advanced health sensors, including those that measure heart rate, blood pressure, and blood glucose. Apple has also apparently developed an in-house sweat analysis sensor for the iWatch, which will all work with iOS 8's Health app to track various health metrics.

This information also contrasts a number of past reports that pointed to the iWatch focusing on more simple functionality to make the health-tracking experience more accessible to everyone. While Apple hired a number of personnel with expertise in fields like blood glucose monitoring, it has been noted that such technologies may not make it into the first-generation iWatch, which require a lengthy-approval process from the FDA and complex hardware integration.

Reports from the The Wall Street Journal and Reuters yesterday noted that Apple is also still trying to finalize specifications for the device. Notably, the Wall Street Journal report suggested that the iWatch will ship in "multiple versions", while the Reuters report said that the device will sport a 2.5-inch screen and feature wireless charging and pulse sensing capabilities.

The iWatch is expected to be revealed and launched in October, which was a date reported earlier this month by Re/code.

Article Link: Report Claims iWatch Awaiting FDA Approval, Will Feature Blood Glucose and Sweat Sensors

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
These leaks don't seem random or accidental. I bet Apple has finalized the design, is good to go with production, and now is starting up the hype machine.

As a medical provider, I'm actually pretty excited about the possibility of blood glucose monitoring. And at least in America, that will certainly get quite a large percentage of the population on board!

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
At first I thought it said Rupert claims... I was like, oh great, another random person making predictions and getting front page... xD

clausbvc

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2014
Denmark
Something does not add up

It sound very contradictory to me.
Awaiting certification and finalising specifications is not compatible with FDA or any notified body for that matter.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
I have been against the idea of smartwatches. This does not sound like a watch though. More like a healthband as it's primary functionality.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Health tracking is not the next big thing.

There's a reason why those Fuelbands and Fitbits never caught on.

Last edited:

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
No blood alcohol sensor? Not gonna buy it. I want my watch to stop me texting when I'm drunk.

cerealito

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
toulouse, FR
I don't use watches cause i feel them uncomfortable,so it will be very difficult that Apple convince me to wear one.

Exaclty. That's why I think the iWatch will be a sports watch, in direct competition with companies such as garmin, polar, sunnto...

It might come to a surprise to most geeks but those companies have been producing and refining watches with dozens of sensors and functions for years.

These devices are targeted for runners, triathletes etc. We do not wear them all the time, only during workouts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.