'iWatch in 60 Days or Bust' Analyst Claims Apple Developing a 3D Printer

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 15, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Global Equities Research analyst Trip Chowdhry has made a number of outlandish predictions when it comes to Apple, and his latest claim is that Apple is preparing to enter the 3D printer market. Chowdhry shared his thoughts with Benzinga, outlining his belief that Google is pursuing a 3D printer project based on its expectations that Apple will be making a similar move.

[​IMG]
    Retro Apple Logo in 3D by arguncencen on Shapeways
    Chowdhry provides little to no details on Apple's 3D printing plans, citing only the company's experience in hardware and its intellectual property covering the technology as substantiation for his prediction.
    Chowdhry also points to Apple's acquisition of PrimeSense last year, with that firm's 3D sensors made famous for their role in the original Microsoft Kinect perhaps playing a role in Apple's 3D printing ambitions.

As for timing, Chowdhry doesn't specify anything for Apple but speculates that Google could announce its 3D printing intentions this June or October with product launches coming a full 12-18 months later.

As if the unsubstantiated claims and seemingly nonsensical predictions weren't enough to essentially dismiss the report as fanciful thinking, Chowdhry has a history of making grandiose claims. Freshest in many people's memories is his claim earlier this year that Apple had 60 days to introduce the iWatch or the company "will disappear" as it proves itself unable to innovate in the post-Jobs era. Chowdhry's deadline comes next Monday, with no sign of an imminent iWatch announcement.

Article Link: 'iWatch in 60 Days or Bust' Analyst Claims Apple Developing a 3D Printer

2. macrumors 65816

xmichaelp

Still don't know what a 3D printer is.

3. macrumors 68000

Reason077

I could see Google doing a 3D printer. Apple? No.

4. macrumors 603

"Chowdhry has a history of making grandiose claims."

So why give him the attention?

5. macrumors regular

That guy is not being taken seriously by anyone in the business, more likely than not.

6. macrumors regular

For making iPhone 6 mock ups :D

7. macrumors 6502a

It prints in 3D.

8. macrumors regular

Slow news day.

MR is dependent on clicks, still.

9. macrumors 6502a

TsunamiTheClown

This guy would apparently be right at home here on MR forums, :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 68000

Porco

What might happen is,* we will all download the iWatch from iTunes and then 3D-print it out ourselves in the next 72 hours or so, or else Apple will cease to exist as they fail to live up to the predictions of one guy. :rolleyes:

*probably not though.

11. macrumors 6502a

Ah, Trip. Keep talking, it’s hilarious.

12. macrumors regular

UnionVGF

It will never happen.

13. macrumors 6502a

Col4bin

3D printer is overrated.

With that being said, I could still see every home having one within the next 30 years. :p

14. macrumors 6502a

I saw a 3D printer create an ornament at a show. It was amazing.

Then I carried on living my life.

15. macrumors regular

Nice, soon we can download accessories for the iPhone/iPad on iTunes and print it.

16. macrumors regular

Anyone can do it....

"I invented the question mark"

see!

17. macrumors G5

Rogifan

At least it's not another thread for a 3rd party mockup of a rumored future device. :)

18. macrumors regular

I like the guys that are 3D printing buildings with concrete....

19. macrumors member

One Bad Duck

No Innovation?

I hate all these 'analyst' claims that Apple is no longer innovative as its now "post Jobs". These guys are supposed to know their field. Jobs himself referenced they thought of the idea of the iPad BEFORE the iPhone. Both these products took YEARS to develop. Apple don't just dream these up over night and release that year...

Jobs himself also said during the presentation of the original iPhone "People are lucky if they get to deliver one of these into the market". Great design starts with a problem. Apple themselves know that if they're fixing a problem that doesn't exist people won't buy it.

Now people expect Apple to churn a revolutionary product every year - or Apple will collapse as a company.

Ridiculous. Stick to your guns Apple, take your time - I'm not going anywhere.

(Cook still needs a major release under his name to call his own though)

20. macrumors 65816

xmichaelp

Well yeah. I just can't comprehend 3D ink and I've yet to be bothered looking it up. ;)

21. macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Apple did popularize the laser printer in the 80's.

So, why not?

22. macrumors newbie

how I miss the "real" Apple symbol.

Is there a way to color the black one in the menu bar rainbow?!

23. macrumors 65816

xmichaelp

Because we clicked the link.

MacRumors best days are in the past.

24. macrumors 6502

3D printer?

Well, it's certainly one of the more novel suggestions for "new product categories" out there.

Can't see it happening, though. Apple keeps themselves limited to a very small set of products at any one time, and I don't think the market for these types of devices will be big enough in the near term for Apple to devote its energy to producing anything other than proof-of-concept for future products.

25. macrumors 6502

tbrand7

Yeah ok (sarcasm)