Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Even if Apple leaves the iPod nano and shuffle to die like the classic, I have a hard time believing that they'll abandon the touch.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
Much as it would be cool to have an iwatch if the screen is too small what's the point. Replace the nano yes but not the touch. I'm hoping like a lot of other people that they keep the touch going but with a slightly bigger form factor.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
The iWatch will resurrect the click wheel!

(Kidding)

BRING IT

iwatch.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
iPod touch is way inferior compare to iPhone on the same generation.
They need to bump the specs and stop selling outdated hardware.

Yeah, I was really surprised the iPod Touch didn’t at least get the A6, maybe a camera bump, when they released the 5S/5C. It at least got the 4” display (which is supposed to be as good as the iPhone).

The iPT _seems_ like a great device, and with so many excellent VOIP services, it’s just about as handy as a phone.

I can see the “music only” devices being dropped, but I’d like to see the iPT continue with an update ... maybe we’ll see an A7/8 based iPT in 4.7” :D

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Theory: the Pixo OS team (iPod OS) is currently working on the iWatch. The Pixo OS would be a nice match as a smartwatch OS. iOS could be an overkill.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
iPod touch is way inferior compare to iPhone on the same generation.
They need to bump the specs and stop selling outdated hardware.

Exactly! Touch should move to 64 bit hardware this year. Further they need to pull head from a$$ and bump up the sizes of the flash storage across the board. It has gotten to the point that I don't think anyone at Apple uses their own products anymore. If they did they would be demanding that something be done about flash storage.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Really? It's a bit hard to accept that they would be replacing the iPod Touch. However I do think the iWatch would be better suited to replace both the iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle.

I think it's due time that the iPod Touch replace the iPod Classic as well. Global production for 1.8" hard drives have to be dwindling in today's market while flash continues to be mass produced. If the iPhone 6 can finally get 128GB, the iPod Touch would be soon to follow, so that should be enough to get rid of the Classic in my opinion.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Yeah thats not even worth a little bit of time to update it slightly.

A bean counter running the company! Really that is from all app remanded what is going down here. A technologist would keep Touch current until it is no longer relevant.

Macinva

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
The only product in the iPod line I care about is the shuffle. I work in a secured environment but I can take those in for music since they don't have wifi, cameras, etc.

If they ever discontinued that, I'd stock up on a couple more but I really hope Apple keeps those around as they're great.

AstronomyiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
Maryland
Replace a line of iPod? Maybe.
Replace iPod? No.

Even if it's a "declining business," the iPod is a market of its own.
Not everyone is willing to get an iPhone and pay for service (or not pay, and use a $649 device at half capability) and not everyone wants an iPod.

I can see it replacing the Nano, but not the Touch or Shuffle.

blucurv

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
I don't think this to be true. The iPod touch is a much cheaper iPhone sans carrier and the nano is priced at the point where someone may want a player for a cheaper price. It makes more sense for Apple to cannibalize their own sales rather than getting rid of those two needs.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
IPod Touch best thing for kids since Gameboy!
Cant kill it. :(

Exactly. I cannot see Apple ditching the iPod Touch. As small as a slice of the Apple pie that the iPod business is, the iPod Touch still serves effectively as a notable gaming competitor to traditional handhelds. I think the Touch has it's place in the Apple ecosystem.

Classic, Nano, and Shuffle? Not so much. The iWatch could certainly serve to fill those gaps.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
The extinction of the iPod was bound to happen in the future due to the advent of smaller iPads and larger iPhones.

No disrespect to Apple's iPod, but when you can buy a decent mobile phone for $300 with the ability of the iPod, plus the ability to make calls then the iPad seems irrelevant.

eg iPhone 4 or 4s (Second Hand) Nokia Lumia 520 ($59) Insert your Android model here

Will Lambert

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2014
The price of an iWatch would have to be under $400 to pose any kind of threat to iPods. The last analyst's report that the iWatch would sell for nearly a thousand or more dollars would have to be false. It didn't sound realistic in the first place but regardless, one of these reports is wrong.

mtvfyrfytr

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
A bean counter running the company! Really that is from all app remanded what is going down here. A technologist would keep Touch current until it is no longer relevant.

You beat me to it. Bean counter is the answer. How much is Apple spending on iPod team - what they bring in?

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
If this is true then Apple has to stop claiming that they still care about music because it's starting to sound like complete BS.

The iPod line hasn't been updated since 2012 and neither has iTunes. The Music app in iOS 7 is their worst-designed music playing software ever.

It seems like Apple has forgotten why they became relevant again.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Ahhh, the iPod. It was my first Apple product and my first step in the digital age in 2010. (I was a late bloomer and had a cheap Windows computer for school and used CDs :eek:)

It will make me sad to see them go, though I understand.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
the iWatch *IS* the new iPod.

I like this idea. They basically sparked this thing with the iPod Nano with wrist band and then added fire to the speculation about an iWatch when they changed the Nano again to make it bigger.

If they just use the Nano shell, with new iOS for iWatch software (for lack of a better name), then I think they already have a pretty decent product. The iPod Nano has pretty good battery life and some people seem to like to wear it.

I suppose they could make it a bit more elegant, but that's just changing the casing right? I like the eInk display idea from Pebble. It just seems like the best way to extend battery life and make your watch readable in the sun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.