Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Everyone wearing the same watch and using the same phone. What was the point of that Apple 1984 commercial again? I can't remember. :confused: :D

I think it had something to do with total control, but in re-watching it I don't think people realized who the characters in that commercial actually were.

AND , we never saw how it turned out. Lots of room for interpretation :p:p:p

LOL

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I think it had something to do with total control, but in re-watching it I don't think people realized who the characters in that commercial actually were.

AND , we never saw how it turned out. Lots of room for interpretation :p:p:p

LOL

Apple has become what it once was against. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Oh, well.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Basically this! That's one thing I love about watches, how unique they are.

That's why they can't market it as a watch, because watches are Jewelry, which are expressions of personality.

They can only market this device as an iPod nano, for functional moments like at the gym, instead of a date night.

NOBODY is going to wear a geek watch in a social setting, except the most godawful horribly unsocialized geeks. It's bad enough that people sue cell phones in social settings.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
I only recently got into monitoring my calories and health (lost 50 lbs). While I think a watch that monitors blood sugar and heart rate (and counts steps, etc.) would be great for me, I don't see that or health products in general becoming the huge money-making product everyone has to have like the iPod or iPhone.

If Apple is going to sell an iWatch, health monitoring will be ONE thing it does well, but it likely won't be the ONLY thing it does well.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
We are basing our opinions on analyst speculation and artistic mockups of what people that don't know what the actual functionality of the device will be. The iPhone was a game changer for the mobile phone market. We didn't even know we wanted it until it was announced. I would venture to say the "iWatch" or as mozumder says "iPod Nano" ;) will be the same. Only time will tell. <--pun intended.

For the time being I have my iPhone which is basically my "iPocket Watch". My needs are covered.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I only recently got into monitoring my calories and health (lost 50 lbs). While I think a watch that monitors blood sugar and heart rate (and counts steps, etc.) would be great for me, I don't see that or health products in general becoming the huge money-making product everyone has to have like the iPod or iPhone.

If Apple is going to sell an iWatch, health monitoring will be ONE thing it does well, but it likely won't be the ONLY thing it does well.

I can't see an Apple watch being mainly a health monitor. I don't see a market where they are going to sell 100 million of these a year worldwide based entirely on simple health monitoring. It seems gimmicky, IMO. But if the technology ever comes to monitor bloods sugar and blood pressure, that opens up uncharted territory and it could be huge with diabetics, or which there are 350 million+ worldwide and the number is growing.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Can confirm SpO2 will be hard to get via a watch - I worked on pulse oximetry when it was being developed in the late 80s. Most, if not the vast majority of the R&D was done on light being passed through something - a finger or earlobe.

A watch won't be able to do that, it will have to depend on reflectivity - unless they're going to put a massively bright set of LEDs on the other side of the wrist.

Calculating SpO2, while not hard, requires a ton of lab research to get the parameters that go into the calculation right. This would all have to be re-done based on reflectivity, not a huge effort but it would involve a type of research I suspect Apple hasn't come close to before.

Plus, the FDA will have to be on-board.

Impressive if they can get it done, there are challenges involved.

Very true. Not only that, it will need to identify pulsatile blood flow on the posterior of the wrist. Unless the human body morphs itself, this does not exist. Lastly, who really cares about their blood oxygen saturation? What common life experience would this be beneficial for? Unless you have lung disease, this value isn't going vary much.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
That's why they can't market it as a watch, because watches are Jewelry, which are expressions of personality.

They can only market this device as an iPod nano, for functional moments like at the gym, instead of a date night.

NOBODY is going to wear a geek watch in a social setting, except the most godawful horribly unsocialized geeks. It's bad enough that people sue cell phones in social settings.

A watch isn't jewelry, it is a time keeping device that also has evolved to do much more, and I'm not referring to the recent smart watches. People can treat it as such but it isn't. I can make my phone sparkly but it still isn't jewelry. Jewelry serves no purpose other than to look pretty.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Apple's watch will dance circles around the competition, will be completely different internally and externally and will do 10x as many things, but I can absolutely guarantee their fanboys will bleat on about Apple copying them.

And then they'll continue to chant the same story when the competition's 2nd gen offerings all follow Apple's lead.

What the :eek:

Tork

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
Lastly, who really cares about their blood oxygen saturation? What common life experience would this be beneficial for?

That's always been my first thought whenever I see analysts say that. What does oxygen saturation tell you about physical fitness? Nothing...

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
so thus far it's going to measure your heart-rate, scan your brain cells, monitor your glucose, ring your doctor, pre-order some new organs, inject insulin and shock you back to life after a heart fibrillation...

what are they going to call it? The f•••ing iHospital ?

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
A watch isn't jewelry, it is a time keeping device that also has evolved to do much more, and I'm not referring to the recent smart watches. People can treat it as such but it isn't. I can make my phone sparkly but it still isn't jewelry. Jewelry serves no purpose other than to look pretty.

Indeed. That is why a watch is jewelry, since watches serves no purpose and exists to look pretty.

There was a quote from a luxury watch maker when cheap digital watches first came onto the market in the 70's, and was asked about losing business to these digital watches.

Her response was "I'm not in the watch business. I'm in the jewelry business."

Watches are desirable based on how expensive they are - the more expensive the better.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Apple's watch will dance circles around the competition, will be completely different internally and externally and will do 10x as many things, but I can absolutely guarantee their fanboys will bleat on about Apple copying them.

And then they'll continue to chant the same story when the competition's 2nd gen offerings all follow Apple's lead.

And I will laugh at you when you are forced to buy the 'new improved' second gen iWatch, because Apple will have added the amazing functionality of telling you the time!

Bigbarneygumble

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
Iwatch

I love my iPad, my iphone, my macbook and my Mac mini and let's not forget the Apple TV!
BUT the impending launch of the supposed iwatch is the most boring product that Apple could bring out IMO. You've only got to look at Samsung's recent effort and a bit further back to Sony's. Absolute zero's in terms of sales! Sure Apples will be better I've no doubt, but it's just not an exciting product like the iphone and iPad were when they launched.
I'm sure a lot of people here will shoot me down but I reckon it will be a flop compared to Apples previous winners. Come on Apple do something really exciting again - I can't wait to see what you do with TV, now that does have the potential to set the world alight!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.