iWatch Reportedly Entering Production in Small Quantities Ahead of Fall 2014 Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 29, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple's suppliers have already begun producing the iWatch in small quantities, according to supply chain sources cited by China Times via G for Games, ahead of a prospective launch during the second half of 2014.

Echoing an earlier report from notable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the site's sources also suggest the iWatch will take advantage of a system-in-package (SiP) design that allows a multitude of chips to be placed on a single module. This could allow Apple to the fit multiple sensors rumored for the smart watch into a tiny area while keeping the device small enough to be worn comfortably on the wrist.

Traditional watch-style iWatch concept based on TRIWA's Havana Nevil Brown watch, by Gábor Balogh
    Rumors have indicated Apple's iWatch will contain several different biometric sensors allowing it to track health-related statistics like heart rate, sleep quality, movement, and more. The sensors will aggregate data that will be stored in a rumored "Healthbook" application, slated for inclusion in iOS 8.

Along with including health sensors, the iWatch will likely function similarly to other smart watches on the market, integrating with the iPhone and iPad to provide notifications and quick access to frequently used apps and services.

Apple's iWatch is expected to ship in two different sizes to accommodate different sized wrists and it may also come in multiple price points and materials. According to recent reports, Apple's iWatch could make an appearance as soon as September, but a solid launch date remains unclear.

Article Link: iWatch Reportedly Entering Production in Small Quantities Ahead of Fall 2014 Launch
  2. macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2011
    I actually like this traditional / digital blend in the design concept

Not keen on the rubber band look

Providing it isn't silly money i will be buying one!
  3. macrumors regular

May 14, 2012
    It's all about to happen in the second fall of 2014. Literally everything.
  4. macrumors 68000

Apr 22, 2008
  5. macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2009
    The timing of Apple's recent watch and sensor hires I think a 2015 launch is more realistic.
  6. macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2008
    Hopefully they are making at least 5,000... One for every WWDC attendee.
  7. macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2013
    Takes a licking and keeps on ?

I forgot. What's it suppose to do?
  8. macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2011
    I have to say, looks of a watch are nearly as important as function and Motorola showed with the Moto 360 how a smartwatch should look. If Apple can beat that design (I hope it's more of an classic design) I am ready do give them my money ^^
  9. macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2010
    any year now...

I wonder if they'll do a "one more thing" segment during the upcoming WWDC in June to announce the iWatch? ;)

Also, not a fan of the leather straps, and I highly doubt Apple will go with that aesthetic.
  10. macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    While I like the design (I actually already own an analog watch with a (simple) LCD face & leather strap like a simplified version of that image)... I really can't see Apple going for a design like that. Ever since Jobs' return from NeXT the ethos seems to be "why do it the traditional way when you can reinvent the device".

I'd be surprised if they don't go for a fresh, clean design.
  11. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    So it's going to be called the iWatch, and it will have a round dial, buttons on the side, a chronometer ring, a leather band, and will likely function similarly to other smart watches on the market?

Ha, ha, ha, ha. Ha.
  12. macrumors regular

Mar 26, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    This whole iWatch thing is going to be very interesting once it's released. For now, we know nothing. :p
  13. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Completely astounded, more like.
  14. macrumors 6502

Mar 2, 2007
    When will they finally leak some pictures of the iWatch? Might be the first product since the original iPhone to go official announcement with someone sneaking a picture of some pre-production components...
  15. macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2011
    I'll put some Moto 360 pics here, so that Apple knows, what they are up against ;)

16. macrumors 65816

Dec 29, 2007
    Love this design mockup the best so far. Hoping Apple does something soon as I'm really looking forward to some kind of announcement.
  17. macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2003
    I like the round screen but I see it's less useful. You have less space at the top than the middle. All of Apple's little screens have been quadrilaterals. I predict the phone will be slightly rectangular and curved.
  18. macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
  19. macrumors 6502

Aug 7, 2007
    I must say, I haven't been very interested in the rumored iWatch, but the Moto 360 referred to above, did in fact change my mind. We all know Apple will provide a luxurious looking watch of great quality. I can see Apple further improving on the Moto 360 concept, and if that's the case, I might just want one.. :D

However, I do feel that my wristwatch is my most personal accessory, and as such I prefer to own something a bit unique, different from what other people are using. That said, I don't know if I'd actually rock an iWatch, even if only half of all iPhone users were to adopt them.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2010
    It's the "will it leak?" drama that I'm finding most interesting. Now that it's allegedly being made, its design and appearance is going to get harder and harder to keep secret. Don't they have to unveil it at WWDC to have a chance at surprise?
  21. macrumors member

Oct 24, 2007
    I heard that insiders at Apple are sick of all the questions concerning this iWatch rumor. There is no iWatch. Apple is not working on a watch.

Now, if that is true. It would be amazing if all these other companies rushed their supposedly smart watches to market in anticipation of Apple doing so.
  22. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2012
    Central California
    It's going to be really expensive but will drop as time passes
  23. macrumors 6502a

Aug 27, 2012
    So it's clear, they will show off the iWatch at WWDC. :cool:
  24. macrumors 601

Oct 1, 2010
    I hope not. I am still not that excited about an expensive add on for my phone.
  25. macrumors regular

Dec 15, 2013
    Wow, that watch is ugly!