iWeb - 2 sites - 2 different hosts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Grasbak, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Grasbak macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2006
    Is it possbile to use iWeb to make 2 totally separate sites that are hosted on different severs?
  2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Apr 29, 2005
    Yes it is....

Use "Publish to a Folder" and the FTP the files to wherever you want
  3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2007
    iWebSites will also allow you to switch between sites as well, then do just what the above poster said, publish to folder and then FTP them up.
  4. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2006
    I thought that when you published, it just does everything, not a specific site.

Do I publish everthing, then only FTP the sites separatley? Doesnt that give me a problem with the index file or something?

Sorry, bit thick at this lark.

(am at work at the mo so cant test until tonight!)
  5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

Mar 20, 2007
    You can do what reply 2 says, then the sites are separate entities, or if you want them completely separate before publishing to folder, a second way is to create another account on your mac. Use that account for the second site.

6. bburrow macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2006

You can work on multiple sites within a single iWeb file, which is the easiest to keep track of, but you would only ftp the contents of each folder, named whatever you name your site.. Your RSS.xml files will have incorrect urls though, since iWeb always adds the name of the site folder to the url (see below).

Without using 3rd party programs to switch site files, you can do this yourself.. In the user/application support/iweb folder there is a file called Domains.site

I manage about 15 sites in iWeb.. I rename the Domains.site file to something like JohnsSiteDomains.site.. Anything to rename it. Then opening iWeb it won't find the domains.site file so will offer to find or create a new one.. Create a new one, then double click the SITE name in the left column of iWeb and name it something that represents the site your working on.. In my case I would name it JohnsSite and then create all my pages for only one domain.. Then publish to a folder.. There will be an index file, and a folder named JohnsSite.. You can upload everything within the JohnsSite folder directly to your server..

The only caveat is that iWeb expects that you are building multiple sites that will all be uploaded to the same server, and uses the index file that is outside the JohnsSite folder to show which site is to be redirected to.. You wouldn't be uploading this file, however, you'll need to make changes to the html on any of the rss.xml files... if you want to take advantage of the podcasting or RSS features... Those links will have the name of your Site appended to the url, and will need to be taken back out.. For instance, in the upper left column, I renamed the site JohnsSite, which exports everything to a folder of the same name.. if the domain name was johnssite.com then the xml file will have links that say http://www.johnssite.com/johnssite/ referencing the folder.. You'd need to use something like Text Wrangler to find and replace http://www.johnssite.com/johnssite/ with http://www.johnssite.com/

Text Wrangler is great at this because you can choose the multiple file option and it will search every file within a folder..

Hope this helps.
  7. theBB macrumors 68020

Jan 3, 2006
    I think if you save your iWeb projects as seperate "Domains" files, you can have two totally independent sites.
  8. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2006
    Thanks for info. I think I have found the way to achieve what I wanted. In case its useful to anyone I will try (!) to explain. (apologies if some of the terminology is wrong)

Bear in mind I am not using .mac for this and am ftping sites to different urls.

I am working on 2 sites – siteA and siteB and they appear in that order in the panel of the left of the iweb screen.

When I publish to a folder (lets call it Websites), iWeb creates an index file, and, 2 folders named siteA and siteB, all of these are inside the Websites folder. The index file seems to relate to the site at the top of the list on the iWeb panel, in this case siteA. To just publish siteA, I can trash the siteB folder and then upload the index file and siteA folder.

For siteB, return to iWeb, drag siteB to the top of the list on the iWeb panel – then publish to a folder (lets say Websites2) .Then the index file created is for siteB – you can trash the siteA folder in Websites2 and upload the index file and siteB folder to the other server.

Does this sound like it will work? – I haven’t got access to the 2 urls yet so can’t fully test my theory.