iWeb - Can you put text in the footer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wakerider017, Oct 1, 2006.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

2. happy.buddha macrumors member

happy.buddha

Why not just create a text box and place it at the bottom?

3. cedge20 macrumors newbie

I hope someone else reads this!

I've been wrestling with the same problem. I'd like to have an "updated on..." and "Copyright" etc footer on my main web page .... but can't figure out how to do it!

If you make a text box and try to drag it into the footer, the page just extends to prevent you from going there. If you click on the footer it's framed, but then if you click on Text, a blank text box just appears in the middle of the page.

My patchwork solution was to switch to Appleworks, make a text box, type in the text I wanted, then cut and paste into my footer. (iWeb apparently thinks it's a graphic, then.) Seems a bit lame, though. Any other ideas out there?

4. cedge20 macrumors newbie

replying to myself

Well, that cut and paste looked good in iWeb but didn't transfer when publishing.

Help!

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK, I thought I remembered a simpler workaround and here it is- and yes, it does involve making iWeb treat it as "Graphic Text" (like a Font that you have chosen to use that is not likely to be on anyone else's system like the script font I have chosen to use in a site I am currently working up for a local business: http://www.errors.thinkhost.com/golfguy/The_Golf_Guy/Welcome_News.html )

Make a new text box in the main body of your site layout.
    Go to the "Graphic" tab of your Inspector (below)- no not the Text tab! ;)
    Select the Shadow checkmark and set it to 0 offset and or NO LESS THAN 5% opacity (as shown below also) and the little yellow symbol will appear in the text box as in the second shot below. Make sure "Show text imaging indicator" is selected in Preferences though, or it will not show the yellow indicator.

iWeb will then treat that text box as a graphic and you can do with it what you will. I just updated a single page I posted one time to show someone that iWeb WILL wrap text around graphics and it now shows the result of my TEST TEXT box in the footer: http://www.errors.thinkhost.com/textwrap/Site/Textwrap.html

Yeah, this is kind of a hack/workaround but it works- and should be a lot simpler than involving other programs.

Attached Files:

6. kjmontz macrumors newbie

Unfortunately that didn't work...

sicmacdoc -

I followed your instructions precisely and still cannot move the text box or graphic box to the footer. The yellow indicator appears, but it does not move beyond the "line of no"...

Can anyone else please help?
    Thanks.

7. gareo1 macrumors newbie

Putting text in the footer

I accidentally did this by throwing things around in iWeb, but it's so easy it's stupid. Create a text box. Type your stuff in it wherever it lands. Size it as if it is going into the footer. Now... here's the "HARD" part... option-click-drag the textbox (it copies it) down into the footer. The new text box just falls into place. Then copy it, go to the next page, click in the footer area and paste!

8. SailorTom macrumors regular

+1 on this. i think the iWeb documentation actually covers this. Same principle for dragging images into and out of text box's.

9. kjmontz macrumors newbie

thank you

the option click drag works perfectly.

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Sorry my clumsy workaround didn't work for you, but it is very cool that this method works!

Thanks gareo1 for that!

11. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

BTW- I meant to ask- what version of iWeb are you running?

12. gareo1 macrumors newbie

I'm running 2.0.4

Glad I could be of help this time - usually this forums is helping me.

13. oslomac macrumors newbie

ditto on the "works perfectly" :) Thanks gareo!

14. spiketrain macrumors newbie

Another Happy Fix

Simple problem - simply fixed

I love the internet - I love you..... I just love everything!