iWeb Help Please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Regular-John, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Regular-John macrumors member

Hi All

I've followed this guide.

But when I try and edit the server content it says that I don't have sufficient privilages or that it's full.

I've tried 'get info' and it says I can only read, so I guess that's the problem.

So my question is; how I can edit the contents of my server?!?! And get full access?

Cheers.

2. Gee macrumors 65816

If you want to edit the content of your site, do it in iWeb and then republish it - it will update your site on the server with the changes

3. Regular-John thread starter macrumors member

But when I do I get the following error:

"Can't create the file 'xxxxxx'. The disk may have been damaged, full or you may not have sufficient access privilages'.

And when I 'get info' it states I only have 'read access'.

4. Gee macrumors 65816

So did you originally publish your site succesfully the first time? And now it won't let you overwrite it?

5. Regular-John thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I used to 'publish to folder' then upload it using Cyberduck. But I found that guide on apple.com so I thought I'd give it a whirl. But it's not playing!

6. Gee macrumors 65816

When you logged on to the server using the 'Connect' menu like it says in the guide, did that work as stated - you didn't accidentally log on as a guest did you? Try disconnecting and logging on to the site again. That's pretty much all I can think of.

7. Regular-John thread starter macrumors member

I've tried disconnecting, deleting the address and re-entering it but when I do it doesn't ask me for me user name and password!!

Any ideas.

Cheers

8. Regular-John thread starter macrumors member

I've managed to change my password so when I try connect to my server with finder it asks for the p'word again. But I've double checked and my username and p'word are correct. I still can't publish to my server, any ideas?

Thanks

9. Gee macrumors 65816

From me, no more ideas, sorry. Apart from going back to using Cyberduck.

Maybe someone else can chip in?

10. Regular-John thread starter macrumors member

11. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

It's probably as simple as the feedback you're getting; it sound like you don't have write access or that the partition is full.

You can check the rights by doing a directory listing in your home / default folder. This lists all files; pay particular notion of the file/dir called "." (which is the directory you're in). What rights does it have? (eg. drwx-r-xr-x which means; the user has read, write and execute rights, the group has read and execute and 'other' as well). Make sure you (user) and/or the group you are part of have write access.

if you still have problems, contact your sysadmin :)

12. Regular-John thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I know I don't have full rights. But it doesn't make sense, it's my domain so I should!!

It's odd because I don't have any problems upload with Cyberduck using the same info. I just wanted to save a bit of time and do it thru iWeb.

13. kg9ov macrumors member

I'm not sure why Apple would put a howto on their own site like that, but you can't do that with finder. ftp servers accessed like that via finder are read-only. There is an article on Apple's site about it.

-Tony

14. Regular-John thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks for that! That makes me feel better!

Cheers mate.