iWeb / .mac problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stormyguy, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Stormyguy macrumors regular

Hi all

Been fiddling about with my website (made in iWeb, uploading to my .mac account) - essentially putting a new "Index" page at the 'front' as I want to have two separate 'areas' for people to navigate to.

I set up the links and all was fine and published but then I made a few fine-tuning tweaks and published again and I just cannot get the site to go publish! The app just hangs and eventually opens up the .mac login pane from sys prefs. I never get an 'official' error message from iWeb.

I dragged the DOMAIN file out of iWeb support on my MacBook onto my Powermac G5 and I have the same problem. I've made a restart or two and ran Disk Utility as well, just to be sure.

Interestingly, I can't log-in to my iDisk either OR get onto www.mac.com hompepage in Safari ("server stopped responding") - on EITHER machine. I CAN sync and I can see the last version of my website at my .mac domain. I am in the UK if this makes a difference?

EDIT: Actually I realise I can't see my site at my dot mac domain after all - seems I was just getting cached files.

Does this mean that there are some issues with the Apple .mac servers or have I managed to corrupt something here?

I'm confused :p

Thanks in advance for any advice or info
    Danny

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds like a problem with .Mac, can you export to a folder OK?

3. Stormyguy thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, that's not a problem it seems (just tried it and it's all good) ! Kind of hoping it's a .mac thing - although wouldnt it be odd for the problem to persist (been a problem since last night about 10pm). I can get .mac mail through Entourage too.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And can you load up the html files it has exported in a web browser?

If so, then it's a .Mac problem, it might be worth trying another webhost ;).

5. Stormyguy thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it all works from the local folder i created just fine.

Would I lose the functionality of .mac (comments on blogs etc etc) if I use another host. I already have domain space elsewhere but if I try to host there I get 'dodgy' pages with spaces between words missing and punctuation all screwed up?

If the link you gave (??) would maintain functionality I'd certainly try it.

And thanks for your help on a Sunday!!

6. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I thought it could take a few hours before the .Mac webiste is updated, I though the files were submitted and then processed?

7. Stormyguy thread starter macrumors regular

Nah, I think that in the past I've always had my site updated right away (albeit publishing can sometimes take a while). It's not that i'm getting successful publishing and then not seeing my site, it's the publishing part of the process that seems to be failing when attempting to 'speak to' the .mac servers. Hence I have no idisk access at present either.

I guesss I'lll have to hope its a problem with the .mac servers.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You lose Blog comments AFAIK

Picture 2.png

I removed the link as I thought it was a bit cheeky. The host is http://asmallorange.com/, and is used by edesignuk.

Hey I'm a student, we only do work on the weekend ;).

EDIT The host provides password protection and full statistics and I'm sure Comments could be done another way.

9. Stormyguy thread starter macrumors regular

:) :) Nice one!

I shall try uploading the site to .mac again on Monday at my office - different ISP - just in case that is a potential problem area. Again, thanx for the help!

10. Stormyguy thread starter macrumors regular

OK, just a final update on this - FWIW I managed to uplaod the site at my office where we have a different ISP - and very quickly it went too - never had it publish that fast (have fast connections at home and business). I had read somewhere or other that this could be a potential issue so I'm glad it seems to be resolved.

Hope this info may be of use to someone else.

Regards
    Danny