iweb & .mac questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mac512k, Aug 3, 2006.

1. mac512k macrumors newbie

I was thinking about starting a page just a simple one for right now and i just got iLife 06 and was wondering about iweb and a .mac account and had a few questions.

1. do you get a lot of choices in iweb to set up a page? I just want to have my portfolio up and maybe a tech blog or just your average webpage stuff.

2. can i have more then one site? Can i do it with say one site for a portfolio and a short bio and then have a different one that's just some kind of blog

3. is it worth getting a .mac account to publish or should i go with some one else? I hear you can do this without a.mac account but it seems like a pain

4. Is it easy enough to just update the site on a weekly base

I do have dreamweaver but i only know the basics of that. However, i am teaching my self how to use it but in the mean time i would rather have something simple and quick up right now.

Thanks for the help

2. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Not an expert by any means here, but I do have a .mac account and use iweb.

1) if you've messed with iweb at all you can see all the options available. As far as I know there isn't any added functionality to iweb if you have a .mac account. There are a lot of page layouts and designs to choose from within iweb if that's what you mean.

2) yes, multiple pages of different type are possible.

3) IMO, $99 is way overpriced. Sure its easy to upload and all, you just hit "publish" and its all done for you, but it shouldn't cost that much. I certainly wouldn't have bought it for $99. I was on the fence about getting it before my 60day trial was up. Its neat, but not something I had to have. I just use mine for pics of the kids, send the link to family. Check ebay though, I got mine for $34 which definitely is worth it.

4) yes, its very easy to update. Jut open iweb, change what you want, and publish again.

Now as far as adding flash and other more advanced things to a webpage, I don't know if you can (nor do I know how to do it)

Hope that helped some. Good luck.

3. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

VoodooDaddy hit it on every point. I use iWeb and .mac to maintain my portfolio website. I don't have strong web skills (Dreamweaver, etc.) or the time to dedicate to learning all of that right now. iWeb is a piece of cake and saves me the time/trouble of having to concentrate on complex coding. It's not the most flexible for layouts but it does the job. Click the link in my signature to see what I cranked out in an afternoon. As far as the .mac part goes, I'm one of those folks who thinks it's worth every penny. The ease of use and integration of iWeb/.mac is perfect and I use .mac all the time to transfer files to friends and family. The load times on my site are a bit slow but I'm sure it will only get better in the future.

You'll find plenty of good iWeb examples and tips/tricks here.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Actually, there is:

Publishing to a server or hosting service other than .Mac

5. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

6. mac512k thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help, i rather use iweb and .mac just because it seems simple enough to just get it up. i'm not looking to make the hottest page just to get the info i need out and published.