iWeb never finishes uploading..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ubuntu, May 30, 2006.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Jul 3, 2005
    Hi, I updated iWeb to 1.1.1, and although it seems to be faster, when it gets to the 'Publishing in Background" stage it seems to go on... forever...

There's a little circle by the Site name that seems to resemble a clock of some form, a timer, or a progress indicator. The indicator goes around for one cycle, and then just sits there, as a grey circle. The "Publish" and "Visit" buttons are greyed out too, suggesting that it's still publishing. Whenever I try to quit it warns me about the uploading. Is there anyway to see how much progress it has made?
  2. nathanforest macrumors newbie

May 29, 2006
    iWeb publishing in background

I, too, have been having nothing but problems for about 2 weeks with iWeb. No wonder Apple just posted a 90 MB update. However, with the update, I am still having problems when publishing: Now, the pages get quickly created, but then the publisher sits there in the background forever and I get a message saying that the network is busy and to try again in a few minutes (which I tried again and again for 300 minutes) and got nowhere.

Today, the iWeb icon bounced up and down 10 minutes later, telling me that I was not connected to the internet, which was not true as I was using Safari to post this reply and get more info on bugs with iWeb.:eek:

Well, I guess Apple may have a big bug, then. Will we have to wait for the next big update in a few days, few weeks, few months?

:confused: frustrated, nathan forest
  3. jimmychimp macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2006
    How to monitor progress on iWeb upload

The most handy thing I have found is to use the Activity monitor.

First, restart your computer so that the activity is reset... then make sure that you have no applications open that might use the net (ie Mail, Safari, Skype etc etc.)

Go to Application / Ultilities / Activity Monitor - open it and click on Network tab. This way you can monitor the uploading and downloading of bytes... (Data Received and Data Sent)

If you see any activity (red and yellow lines on the graph) than you must still have something running on the web. When graph goes blank, open iWeb.

When you launch iWeb and publish to Mac, when using 1.1.1 for the first time, it will automatically republish the entire site (which if you have video stream as I do - takes a while) You can check how much memory your entire site is by navigating to:-

username / Library / Application Support / iWeb / Domain

This is also a good file to know as it contains EVERYTHING from your iWeb sites (ctrl click to reveal files in "show package contents") and is the file that should be backed up somewhere safe...

During upload, you can then keep an eye on the graph (red line should be going bonkers whilst uploading)... don't open any other web applications during your first upload so you can check on the data sent... After that, should just upload changes...

Good luck... I had a nightmare in the few days between the 1.1 and the 1.1.1 update, but seems to be sorted now.

Hope this was useful.