iWeb - Publish Changes Only?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Over Achiever, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I've been using iWeb and tweaking the sites it produces in Dreamweaver, but one thing that has bothered me for a while is publishing the site ... is there a way for iWeb to publish only the changes I made to the site? I have a sprawling website with over 1,000 photos, publishing the photos every time I publish feels like a waste.

Are there other programs out there that would give me a similiar interface as iWeb, allow me to keep the templates I'm using in iWeb, and allow me to create new/edit pages with more control? Sounds impossible.

While I have a thread started, any critiques on the site?

-OA
    http://umn.edu/~pham0106

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I don't think iWeb will do what you want.

Are you uploading to a .Mac account or another hosting site, using the 'Export to Folders' option?

If you're using the Export to folders option, then I've found that I can get away with just updating the folders that have been updated - rather than a whole site again.

You could possibly use a FTP/synchro tool, to update individual photo and page files.

3. Over Achiever thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Export to folders ... I ended up deleting a bunch of the photo pages to save time, otherwise it publishes every page within iWeb.

I'm uploading to a personal FTP server.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

What are you using to upload your folders/files to your personal FTP Server?

Some FTP applications have a synchronization feature, which should save you some time/hassle.

5. Over Achiever thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Thanks ... it's not the FTP sync that takes time, it's the over 30 minutes that iWeb takes to "Publish to Folder" on my laptop.

6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Ah, I see what you mean now! :)

7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I hope that Apple adds more control over creating and publishing multiple sites and tweaking multiple sites in the next revision of iWeb. I sure love the interface, though, makes creating a website easy, even for a web creation idiot such as myself...:p