iWeb Publishing---strange characters showing up!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by CNU182, Sep 1, 2006.

  1. CNU182 macrumors regular

    Oct 9, 2003
  2. zosont macrumors newbie

    Aug 25, 2006
    Looks like reminents of characters from a not UTF-8 character set. Did you copy and paste the text into iWeb from something like a word document, or another similar external source? I take it these characters are not appearing in iWeb when you view the site? I'm pretty sure just deleting the text and rewriting it within iWeb would fix it.
  3. abbottpc.com macrumors member

    Apr 25, 2005
    If you are using an FTP program to upload your site to your host. Make sure your FTP client isn’t Translating ISO Characters. There should be an option somewhere in the menus. Let how you are uploading your site.
  4. CNU182 thread starter macrumors regular

    Oct 9, 2003
    i am uploading using web-dav
    thanks for all the input.

    for now, im just editing the published versions
    with dreamweaver. quite tedious, but it will do for now.
  5. true777 macrumors 6502a


    Dec 30, 2000
    California, Austria, Arkansas
    I had the EXACT SAME stupid iWeb bug.

    I also used iWeb to create pages and then opened page in Dreamweaver to tweak/alter.

    After endless frustration about garbage characters showing up I found that they are in some way related to (mostly unnecessary) nested boxes iWeb creates to house content. I assume Dreamweaver doesn't correctly translate the html for those.

    All I can say is that I manually removed ALL boxes and fields that appeared to be unnecessary for the page layout, especially nested ones.

    After I did this, the garbage characters disappeared, but it was a PAIN to figure out which ones were the culprits.
  6. telecomm macrumors 65816


    Nov 30, 2003
    This is not a bug, it's a character encoding/server issue. Basically, it looks like your host server is providing info about the character encoding (indicating that it's ISO-8859-1), when in fact your page is claiming (correctly) to be UTF-8.

    There's not much you can do about this other than change the encoding declaration in the iWeb html output, and check to see that things display correctly before uploading to your server.

    See here for details.

  7. zosont macrumors newbie

    Aug 25, 2006
    Good spot. Strange thing for a web server to be doing specifying the char set in headers attached to html requests.
  8. Vegabondsx macrumors newbie

    Oct 11, 2006
    I have written a tutorial on how to upload iWeb pages to a server becides .Mac as well as fixing the "strange characters" (encoding) problems.


    hope it helps.

Share This Page