iWeb Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChickenSwartz, Nov 6, 2006.

1. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I created my web site using my brand new MBP and iWeb then uploaded to my web server. A few days after that, my MBP started acting up, long story short, I got a new one. I didn't bother backing up my website since it is online. Where do I need to save it so that I can open it in iWeb and edit it?

2. mkaake macrumors 65816

I'm not entirely sure that iWeb will open up HTML that it's created and be able to work backwards to creating source material for it. You'd probably be in better luck doing it over again...

I'll check though.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Did you upload it to .Mac or a different web server?

4. ChickenSwartz thread starter macrumors 6502a

different

5. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I do the same thing with my website, and I believe there is nothing you can do but to start over. iWeb cannot import HTML.

You'll have to start making a habit to start backing up the file that iWeb uses for your website.

HD/Users/TheUser(under which iWeb is being used)/Library/Application Support/iWeb

There is a file called "Domain" and it contains everything for your iWeb website.

6. ChickenSwartz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I wasn't aware this existed, or if it did I thought it was HTML. Grrr...oh well.

I wish there was a "Save" function available on iWeb. I would have done that, known where it was, and noticed it wasn't HTML therefore backed it up.

7. Squiggy macrumors newbie

Is there a way to create a site with iWeb without having a .Mac account? All of the commands (ex, New Page, New Site) are disabled.

8. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

It is odd that those are disabled. I don't use .mac and I am able to use those just fine. There is something else wrong and I don't have a clue as to what it is.

9. ChickenSwartz thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I open iWeb without having previously saved a webpage the template chooser drops down. When it is open all those are disabled. If I choose a template they come back.

10. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

there is a save function in iweb, i'm not entirely sure where it's saved tho...

it could be because you are in the process of creating a new page or whatever... kinda like if you use page, and click new document, and when the menu comes out, you can't do another new document until you do something with the previous one.... i think

11. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I checked it out and you are definitely right. You just have to select the first template page to get going.

12. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

It is saved as an iWeb file called "Domain" located in...

HD/Users/"UserName"/Library/Application Support/iWeb

It is one file you need to remember to back up along all your other files because you cannot import HTML back into iWeb. If you loose this file you loose your whole website.

13. Squiggy macrumors newbie

I deleted all files that referenced iWeb and then reinstalled it with Pacifist. I can now use iWeb, which has the superb Apple user-interface. :)

14. dumshiet macrumors newbie

sorry for bumping an old thread, but how do you choose a template? when i open up iweb it doesnt ask me anything. it just shows the iweb main window and everything is disabled, even file > new page :(

15. emtp6811 macrumors newbie

Try file > new site
    The template viewer will pop up. Choose the the theme you like from the left panel, then one of the pages from the right panel. This will start a website for you to construct. You can add more pages to your site by going to file > new page. This will bring up the same template viewer, so that the new page you are adding to your site can match or be a totally different theme.

Once you are working in a page, use the inspector window to help you make changes. I keep this open at all times when I am in iWeb.

While I am in the process of creating a new site, I simply publish to a folder (file > publish to a folder...) until it is finished and ready to be published on a server. Mine save to ~/My Sites/[name of blog]. In the inspector, under the "Link" tab, I have unchecked "make all hyperlinks inactive". This way, I can check out my webpage by accessing it from ~/My Sites/[name of blog] and I can navigate it just like I would on the internet.

16. dumshiet macrumors newbie

thanks for the response, however, my problem still resides in me being unable to make a new page by going to file > new, since the selections are greyed out. when i open iweb and click file, this is what i see:

[​IMG]

17. dumshiet macrumors newbie