Iweb questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elbennet, Aug 28, 2006.

1. elbennet macrumors member

Hi all,

My mom works on a rather large website by using Frontpage, and I'm trying to convince her to use iWeb (which is on my computer, different then her computer) - the plot of switching them to a Mac thickens. She would like to know how she will know that the site is secure - with Frontpage she had to log in to make changes, but from the little fooling around I've done with iWeb, there's no password needed. Also, can I save the publised iWeb folder to a disk and then transfer it to her PC to publish through Frontpage? I know that you can publish with other domain names, but is it ok to go from a mac to a pc?

Thanks

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

ummmm, Hi. :confused:

3. elbennet thread starter macrumors member

my finger's moved too fast - real post is now up.....sorry

4. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

iWeb uses you .mac account which has a username and password. Can't help you with the pc question.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

How large of a site is it? iWeb really isn't good for anything much more than a personal homepage (well, Frontpage isn't either).

Would she be publishing to a .Mac homepage or another domain? If .Mac, as Passante said, .Mac is password protected. If it's another domain, iWeb does not include built in FTP uploading, so a password is not needed (because you'll need one for your FTP client). CyberDuck is a very nice, free, FTP client for Mac OS X.

You could publish your iWeb site to a folder and transfer it to a PC, and upload it via FTP from that PC, but it would be a bad idea to open a iWeb site in FrontPage.

6. elbennet thread starter macrumors member

It's a school band booster website. 20 or so pages, with lots of text and pictures, but nothing too much more intensive than that. Most of the photos are stored in a photo gallery website, because there are so many. She also has lots of pdfs for people to download, also not a problem with what I've seen in iWeb.

7. Gee macrumors 65816

One serious drawback here - as far as I've found, there's no way of importing existing pages into iWeb to edit. So your mother would have to recreate all of her site from scratch...

8. elbennet thread starter macrumors member

That's true, and I had thought about that, but she's been having some formatting problems with Frontpage, so with the iWeb templates, this might be a little easier.