iWeb site: how to avoid darker photos when seen from a PC ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Arnaud, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Ok, so this is one of the oldest problems of Mac & PCs: the difference of gamma settings, which makes "normal" pictures from a mac appear darker when seen on a PC.

Application of today: part of my friends call me to ask why I didn't correct/lighten my photos before sending them on my site.

Are there any solutions for that ? In iWeb, or in general web design ?
    I heard some rumours that .png was supposed to help, but no clue about how.

I don't think my iMac is so badly calibrated either.

Suggestions welcome... :rolleyes:

Thanks, Arnaud.

(Edit: removed broken link).

2. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

When you save your images, don't imbed the ICC profile.

I don't know if this can be changed in iPhoto, but in Photoshop you are giving the option when you "Save as for web..."

So if iPhoto doesn't do it, you may want to export somewhere, then re-save using Photoshop to get rid of the icc profile, then make the site. Should work greatly then.

If you don't have Photoshop, you might be able to find something on the web to save your images without embedding the profile, but I'm not sure.

There is also the possibility that your callibration is off on either monitor. An image will look different on every monitor it's viewed in naturally because each one is callibrated differently - perhaps your home callibration is extreme? Unlikely, but possible.

3. Arnaud thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, thanks for the tip, I'll check it up.

Biggest problem though is iPhoto, which is my main tool for exporting to iWeb. It's all about fast uploading batches of family pictures to the net, whereas I could export and save via another software if it were for only a couple of pictures.

I'll also re-check the calibration of my screen.

A!

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You can set your Mac's monitor to calibrate to PC Gamma levels - it's in the Display Preferences

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

But then it looks crappy! Why can't they adjust to OURS? ;)

6. Arnaud thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, that's my problem indeed. It started with the first gamma control panel, provided by Adobe 10 years ago. But I want to run my machine as a Mac !

7. Arnaud thread starter macrumors 6502

In the preferences of iPhoto, there's an entry for "including the colorsync profile" in the copied pictures. Maybe that's part of it, an equivalent to the ICC settings ? I just turned it off.

I also reset my screen to a "native gamma" value of 2.02, i.e. somehow intermediate between mac standard and pc, hopefully it'll help in the future.

I'll see what it gives...