iWeb versus Dreamweaver?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by princealfie, Mar 6, 2007.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Which is a better app for website creation? It looks like Dreamweaver is pretty pricey relative to iWeb but I don't know whether iWeb is a lot more crippled?

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Dreamweaver is a lot more complex but a lot more powerful. Sadly, Dreamweaver is also only PowerPC.

iWeb is super easy to use but not very flexible as far as I can tell.

3. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

for the money and ease of use, iWeb is the winner hands down.

iWeb is flexable enough is you edit the html code yourself afterwards with very simple changes of text...tips which are in abundance online..

Should be enough for anyone other than a professional web designer. If thats what you want, why even consider iWeb?

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well I have both, with that said I can't put up my Flash cartoons without using work arounds and other extra steps using iWeb. If you just need to drag and drop jpegs and text while adding a few nice links here and there iWeb is nice :) I have been just converting some stuff to jpegs to make life simple since I don't script but really should consider learning it. That brings up DW, my friend showed me how to setup DW to use my Flash files and so on without using other apps to assist my iWeb needs.
    Here is a link that you might want to look over: http://www.rowan-cottage.co.uk/Site/Articles.html or http://www.varkgirl.com/ as it has lots of iWeb tips and some may just help you decide if iWeb is not enough for you ;)

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

This is kind of like asking which is better for photo-editing: iPhoto or Photoshop. The two really aren't in the same league. iWeb is for personal/hobby uses. You want to create a site quickly and get it up on the web. Dreamweaver is for those that have a very specific idea of what they want.

6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Quite honestly, they are geared towards totally different crowds. iWeb is for students, moms, and people who really don't know much about coding, websites, etc. Dreamweaver is a professional web design program, where you have unlimited ability to do everything/anything you want. The limitations of iWeb are a big downside for me, seeing that you can't even import sites into it, and have little control over the interface of your site.

It's kind of like the difference between iMovie and Final Cut Pro.

7. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

Certainly, dreamweaver is a better app. There is more freedom in dreamweaver to create your own site, but it demands more skills if you're going to take full advantage of the application's tools and features. Enter iWeb. It's easy. It's fun, but while there is freedom to put your own touch on on your website, iWeb can also be limiting. For instance, I find that I can invariably identify sites made with iWeb almost immediately upon first visiting them.

So your question largely depends upon what you're looking for from the app. To what extent do you "really want to create a website," versus to what extent do you "want to have a website created and published to the web in a couple of hours."

8. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Nevertheless, for those of us who aren't web design geniuses, iWeb works great. Check out the below sites, both made with iWeb (the first with a little HTML tinkering, methods found online). I'd love to be able to do that stuff within the application itself (as I'm sure DreamWeaver can), but I doubt it's much easier than copying and pasting a line of code.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

DW is pretty professional, like many ppl stated, another app u can try is Nvu, which, IMHO, is smaller, faster, but yet, more complicated (u really need to know some codings to use Nvu, while DW can do the work without you knowing too much about coding)

iWeb, for what it can do, it works very easy for newbie, but once you ask for more flexibility than it offers, (IMHO, 80% of ppl would want that kind of flexibility, ), .....

finally, hopefully both Nvu and DW would have intel binary soon.

10. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

So why can't you drag and drop flash files into iWeb files? That's puzzling to me.

11. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Becuase that isn't a feature of iWeb

12. Edge100 macrumors 68000

And it works flawlessly with Rosetta.

DW is a great program, and surprisingly easy to get a handle on for people with limited/no coding experience.

iWeb is a great concept, but is significantly lacking in a number of areas. The inability to insert any code of any kind is very frustrating.

13. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

So for commercial web development would starting it off in iWeb then moving it to Dreamweaver for modification be a good idea. DW looks so pricey!!! :eek:

14. scttwtkns macrumors newbie

Ever Wonder

:confused: Has anyone ever wondered how after all this time, nobody has come out with a Web program that is as simple to use as say InDesgin or Quark? iWeb seems to touch on this, but is still far away from this goal. Perhaps future versions will get there. In the meantime, i curse Dreamweaver everytime I use it, for it's rigid interface.

15. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

I can think of at least two reasons.
    1. The typical iWeb user doesn't have Flash or know how to create Flash animations.
    2. Embedding Flash in a manner that is both standards-compliant and works in all browsers is problematic. A lot of big sites use Javascript with browser detection and container applets for that, which is beyond the scope of iWeb.

I think it would be cool if Apple came up with a Keynote export option that plugged into iWeb so you could show presentations on your website.

16. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

The "problem" is the rigidity of HTML. It's not a layout language, it simply defines logical structure (paragraphs, headers, lists, etc.). Style sheets have been developed to make it look pretty, but complicated layouts require careful planning by a human and lots of manual tweaking because of buggy support in Internet Explorer.

In fact, until iWeb came along, I thought even that amount of flexibility was impossible. Apple has really surprised me; non-web developers don't realize just how hard that is to do.

17. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

Softpress Freeway 4. Web design using the page layout metaphor... you do have to do EVERYTHING within the program, but it's very good at what it does. Give it a try!

18. scttwtkns macrumors newbie

Great Pics Captain Haddock

I checked out your pics on Flickr. They are fantastic! Out of curiosity, why haven't you posted them using iWeb?

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Using it almost every day for a pretty good sized site, I have to cordially disagree.

20. mshepherd macrumors regular

21. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Where do I find a copy of Freeway 4?

22. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Flickr is a good enough place for me to host my photos, and until now I've just been exporting them straight from iPhoto, which is very convenient.

23. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I have Flash 8 but no matter how I set up my files (swf, also saved as a graphic/movie) it wouldn't read them, just that nice big question mark showing :confused: I wish it was just a drag and drop as all I want iWeb to do is display my cartoons as a "static" image and not animate just yet. So I put them up as jpegs for now.
    There are work arounds out but you have to do many steps every time you update your website that it gives me a hurting skull :(

24. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

I use iWeb but have been growing tired of it as of late. It's just not very flexible and updating it using ftp is sort of a pain. I also want to get into more flash and the like so I have been looking into Rapidweaver. It offers a lot more than iWeb but isn't as complex as Dreamweaver. I've used DW in the past and if you go through the tutorials and the like you can definitely create a basic site. If you want to be up and running rather quick, it's probably not the path to take.

25. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp