iWeb

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LogicGPS, Feb 16, 2006.

1. LogicGPS macrumors newbie

Hello there,

i am designing a website in iWeb. I was just wondering if anyone has done some of there own and would like to post it up? also, can an iweb website be hosted ? or does it have to be through .mac. Also can you add shopping baskets etc in iweb. Thanks for your help/

2. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

3. LogicGPS thread starter macrumors newbie

is there anyway round this, as i am designing the website for a business so i would like to host it with my domain? it woudlnt look very proffesional through a .mac account. any help is much appreciated, thanks

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It does not have to be on .Mac at all. iWeb will let you publish the whole site to a folder. At that point you can use whatever method you like to get it to your own server. FTP would be the most obvious.

iWeb does not cater for dynamic, server side stuff at all. So no shopping baskets, forums or anything else unless you supply your own server-side software.

5. LogicGPS thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks for your help. I wouldnt need shopping baskets so thats ok, but i would like a type of enquiry form, where customers would type out information ie name address etc then it would be sent to my email. is this possible in iweb or what software do i need for it. thanks again.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can't do that directly in iWeb. If you want a form that directly mails you then we are back to server-side software that you need to provide. If you are happy for them to click a link and it to open their mail client you can do that via a standard mailto: link. You can provide quite a lot of functionality via mailto: including subject, template body text and so on...

7. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Yes An Iweb Created Site Can Be Hosted Elsewhere

"does .mac allow you to use it as a host to your site and then redirect it to http://www.yourdomain.com name without having the http://www.mac.com/yourdomain address". That is a function of the host of your DOMAIN (like namezero or godaddy etc). All you need to do is set up masked domain forwarding to your dotmac page, and all is well.;)

Hope this Helps

8. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

9. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Quick question: I had to wipe my disk and reinstall osx. Well, iWeb starts out anew. Anyone know how to get it to revert to the old website I created using iWeb or do I have to start from scratch?

10. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

do a spotlight search for "domain"

it should be in this folder

HD>Users>your name>Library>Application Support>iWeb

Mine is 50 something megabytes

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

He wiped his drive - I think.

You should be able to download it from .Mac to your drive and open that up in iWeb.

If it was never uploaded anywhere, you're going to have to redo it.

12. Sox macrumors regular

How, or what, exactly do I download from .Mac? I'm kind of in the same boat as the above poster, only I didn't wipe my HD. I'd simply like to transfer doing the iWeb work from my PowerBook to my Mini.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

In that case you can probably use the suggestion from Kyle Nerder above. Otherwise, go to your iDisk (possibly via System Preferences...->.Mac->iDisk->iDisk Syncing On) and find the web folder - I don't use iWeb, so I'm not sure where it places the files there.

14. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

That's the file you want to keep in sync between your machines

15. Sox macrumors regular

16. Sox macrumors regular

Is anyone else having trouble publishing to .Mac after updating iWeb to 1.0.1?

I keep getting an "unknown error."

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When I got that in 1.0, just closing and reopening the app overcame it. :)

18. Sox macrumors regular

Thanks. I ran into that a few times in 1.0 as well, only the error box read "Unable to Publish to .Mac." Restarting iWeb worked.

In this case, the error box reads "Unknown Error." I've tried restarting the app, repairing permissions and restarting the computer, etc. Did the update corrupt my data?

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I haven't had any problems. :eek:

Can you access your iDisk? Can you publish it to a folder? I wonder where this error is coming from...

20. Sox macrumors regular

I can access my iDisk. I can publish it to a folder, which I've done just to save things. In my frustration, I deleted everything off of the iDisk and decided to rebuild the entire website. I've finished remaking the first few pages, and it publishes fine now. Bollocks.

21. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I'm also having problems publishing to my .Mac account using iWeb 1.0.1. In fact, I never had any problems with publishing prior to the update but now it "uploads to .Mac" and then unexpectedly quits before updating the individual pages.

Basically I can't update my website now and so am completely screwed. I've repaired permissions, restarted iWeb and my computer and done everything I've thought of but it still doesn't work. Not sure what to do now. :confused:

I've also tried publishing to a folder but it quits when doing this also. Help!

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

johnnyjibbs, try dragging com.apple.iWeb.plist to the Desktop whilst iWeb is closed. :)

23. LogicGPS thread starter macrumors newbie

Come on people!! post up your iweb pages or links to website so we can take a look!!

so it is possible to design a website in iweb, and host it without a .mac account??? thanks again everyone

24. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This question has been asked lots. Yes you can. You export the site to a folder and from there make your own arrangements to upload it to your host.

25. LogicGPS thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks