Iwo Widow Remembers Flag Raising

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wdlove, Feb 23, 2005.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. BigDogg macrumors member

BigDogg

3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Nice remembering that, I wasn't aware of the anniversary.

I have landed on Iwo Jima, It was a very short stopover, it was eerily quiet from what I saw. I remember it being somewhat barren as well.

They were the Greatest Generation .

thanks

4. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Has anyone read the book Flags of our Fathers? It was written by the son of one of the guys who raised the flag on Iwo Jima and he went and found out as much as he could about all the guys who were involved. It was a very interesting book. I really recommend it to anyone who's interested in that sort of thing, although some of the descriptions of things that went on are not for the faint of heart.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    good read

its good to remember the history!!!

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

For many years, a persistent rumour was doing the rounds that the photograph & event was allegedly staged.

More on this can be read here.

7. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting the article and the picture.

My 81-year-old grandfather, while not pictured, was present at this flag raising and instrumental in making it possible. My other grandfather, who is now 86, was stationed at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed. It makes me proud when people recognize the efforts of WWII veterans.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My father was in the Navy in WWII and was on a ship just off the coast of Iwo Jima when this happened.

9. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that this says it all. All the commemoration of WW II makes me proud. Wells up a lot of pride. My father-in-law was a physician in the Pacific theater. The last surviving in my family that served. We owe all of them a debt of gratitude, can never say thank you enough. Just like our current military, they serve so that we can sleep soundly in our bed at night.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Yeah, Macaddicttt, I read "Flags..." just last year. I found it interesting to see correction as to the post-war behavior of Ira Hayes, having heard the Ballad for so many years.

I was just a kid during WW II. My step-father flew B-24s from Henderson Field on Guadalcanal. I had cousins interned in Santo Tomas prison in Manila, and went to high school there with other kids who'd survived the war and imprisonment.

My father went into France in August of 1944. He led the patrol that secured the Remagen Bridge for Patton's Third Army...

On VJ night, I'd sit on the curb there in Times Square while my mother and step-father bar-hopped and did a serious case of "get blithered". :D They even borrowed the eleven dollars I'd gotten as a birthday present. (I did get repaid, next payday.) That was one hellacious celebration! I guess their hangovers were worth it...

:), 'Rat

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

Be sure to check out the WWII memorial in DC if you get a chance. It's very impressive.

Thirty years too late, but very impressive. :)

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thought it was one of the best books I've ever read...

Woof, Woof - Dawg

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It is.. my only complaint, I wanted there to be less people so I respectfully enjoy the solemnity more.

14. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Yes, it is much better when there aren't many people there. I went once on a weekday and once on a Saturday. It was much better on the weekday. Hopefully in a few years, there won't be so many people there all the time and it will be more like the Vietnam Memorial where people just solemnly walk past all the names.

15. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Hundreds of thousands of 16 and 18-inch naval rifle projectiles, 2000lb aviation bombs, and lots of Marines tends to do that to a place.

And I highly suggest the WWII memorial at night-it's not crowded and it's incredibly beautiful...