Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Can anyone tell me if Pages can import a PDF file from, say, a government webpage and edit those PDF files? Specifically, can Pages fill in the blanks of a PDF form?

Yes, I do know that Pages is compatible with PDF files and that it can import and export them, I just need to make sure it can edit them.

Thank you!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
It might be a bit early to ask this, since nobody has a copy of Pages yet until Apple decides to start shipping iWork. I bought a copy on the Apple Store and asked for prompt shipping. I also regularly work with PDF files, so I'd be glad to answer this question when I get my copy of iWork (with Pages included).

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
wrldwzrd89 said:
It might be a bit early to ask this, since nobody has a copy of Pages yet until Apple decides to start shipping iWork. I bought a copy on the Apple Store and asked for prompt shipping. I also regularly work with PDF files, so I'd be glad to answer this question when I get my copy of iWork (with Pages included).

Pages will EDIT PDF files since it will import them, and considering Pages is an editor it will write and re-write PDF files. That would explain why iWork is expensive since Apple is paying Adobe for this feature. :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
maya said:
Pages will EDIT PDF files since it will import them, and considering Pages is an editor it will write and re-write PDF files. That would explain why iWork is expensive since Apple is paying Adobe for this feature. :)
Great logic there maya - let's hope it turns out to be true!

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
maya said:

iWork is expensive? It includes Keynote 2.0 and costs less than Keynote 1.0 costed alone.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
maya said:
As pages will import PDF files it will also be possible to edit them. :)

I just called Apple, and one of their sales reps said it does not. He didn't sound too sure of himself though.

I'm not sure what to think. Since it can import them, it only makes sense that you can edit them. :confused:

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
maya said:

Say I want to import a PDF form from irs.gov. Can I edit it line for line? That's the question I'd like answered. Looks like I'll have to wait though. Ah well!

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
sethypoo said:
I just called Apple, and one of their sales reps said it does not. He didn't sound too sure of himself though.

I'm not sure what to think. Since it can import them, it only makes sense that you can edit them. :confused:

some programs will import a pdf as an image file which can be placed where you want in the document.....but you can't edit what's in the image

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
To answer those peoples questions if a PDF document created in iWork '05 Pages can be edited, look at the image in the attachment. :)

Look at the PDF description, its says the same for all the rest.

Ini regards to other PDF files, if the author of the PDF files does not allow editing then it will not allow you to do so. If it does it will be editable as loose text. :)

This is from Apples site. :)

Attachments

• compatexport20050111.jpg
    compatexport20050111.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 807

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
sethypoo said:
Say I want to import a PDF form from irs.gov. Can I edit it line for line? That's the question I'd like answered. Looks like I'll have to wait though. Ah well!

Yes, it is possible to edit the form unless the form is closed and restricted from editing then that is up to the author of the PDF document. :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
Chaszmyr said:
iWork is expensive? It includes Keynote 2.0 and costs less than Keynote 1.0 costed alone.

iWork is expensive for 2 apps, one Keynote which has some updated features and Pages that is not yet a full blown Word replacement app.

Some might fine iWork cheap or a great deal some might find it expensive for 2 applications, ONE that is worth it the other still lacking features thus AW still exists. <--- students for one will fine iWork expensive. :)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
maya said:
I doubt that is factored into the price of iWork. Mac OS X already has PDF technology since day one that Apple pays Adobe for.

And where do you get at that it is expensive. Office alone is between 400-500 dollars. I don't think the added benefit of Excel and Entourage make up for the price difference in comparison to iWork.

jon

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
iJon said:
I doubt that is factored into the price of iWork. Mac OS X already has PDF technology since day one that Apple pays Adobe for.

And where do you get at that it is expensive. Office alone is between 400-500 dollars. I don't think the added benefit of Excel and Entourage make up for the price difference in comparison to iWork.

jon

Preview.app can only VIEW PDF and copy and paste. NOT edit text, editing of images is very very very basic. :)

You are telling me that iWork can be compared to Office. You must be on something then. ;)

I like Keynote, however I still thinking its rather pricey for an application that is JUST released. In a year when Pages 2.0 is released with Keynote 3.0 and something else then yes its a great price. Not at present.

Anything more than the price of FREE is expensive then again that is a matter of opinion. ;) :)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
maya said:
You are telling me that iWork can be compared to Office. You must be on something then. ;)

I like Keynote, however I still thinking its rather pricey for an application that is JUST released. In a year when Pages 2.0 is released with Keynote 3.0 and something else then yes its a great price. Not at present.

Anything more than the price of FREE is expensive then again that is a matter of opinion. ;) :)
I think it compares quite well to Office. Only thing it can't do is spreadsheets, so depending on the person it can be a problem or not.

Keynote for one blows away Powerpoint, I think only a Windows user would only argue that. Getting Powerpoint alone will run you $200. I can't say anything about Pages, but from reading the web site and watching Steve's keynote I am very impressed. It will probably replace Word on my system. Word will run you $200 alone.

Most my average customers simply need to type and recieve Word files. Some do need presentations and some do spreedsheets, but not at as much as people just wanting to type. I can sell them a product that I think is superior than what they are used to for $79 or convince them to get Office which will run them close to $500. Even the edu price of Office is going to be about double of what Apple is offering.

As for your last comment, you are either a pirate or a fan of OpenOffice. As for the time being, I think Apple hit a sweet spot with this package. Doesn't matter if it just came out or has been out for years, good software is good software.

jon

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
iJon said:
I think it compares quite well to Office. Only thing it can't do is spreadsheets, so depending on the person it can be a problem or not.

Keynote for one blows away Powerpoint, I think only a Windows user would only argue that. Getting Powerpoint alone will run you $200. I can't say anything about Pages, but from reading the web site and watching Steve's keynote I am very impressed. It will probably replace Word on my system. Word will run you $200 alone.

Most my average customers simply need to type and recieve Word files. Some do need presentations and some do spreedsheets, but not at as much as people just wanting to type. I can sell them a product that I think is superior than what they are used to for $79 or convince them to get Office which will run them close to $500. Even the edu price of Office is going to be about double of what Apple is offering.

As for your last comment, you are either a pirate or a fan of OpenOffice. As for the time being, I think Apple hit a sweet spot with this package. Doesn't matter if it just came out or has been out for years, good software is good software.

jon

That is right there are free text editor applications out there, OpenOffice, Text.app, AW.app. Yeah thats right lets all accuse others of being pirates. :rolleyes: <-- keep that opinion to yourself. :p

Right and now one here has heard of upgrade pricing for Office either, we all just switched to Macintosh computers yesterday. :rolleyes:

Whatever comparing a product when you have not even tried it yet?

I have no reason to bash any OS, there are tools to do my work on, I have no reason to take either side as long as the work is completed, so keep you single minded opinions on OSes to yourself. :rolleyes:

All I said was iWork is not out yet and it is not on PAR to Office. You do not have to make this an issue. :rolleyes:

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Ok, to bring this thread to it's original topic, I need a straight answer to this question:

Can Pages fill in an existing PDF file (such as a 1040 tax form) downloaded from a website and then save that file to my computer?

When I say "form" I mean a form that has blank spaces to fill in information.

Example (yes I know it's JPEG file below, but imagine it's a PDF file):

Attachments

• f1040.jpg
    f1040.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 73

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
maya said:
That is right there are free text editor applications out there, OpenOffice, Text.app, AW.app. Yeah thats right lets all accuse others of being pirates. :rolleyes: <-- keep that opinion to yourself. :p

Right and now one here has heard of upgrade pricing for Office either, we all just switched to Macintosh computers yesterday. :rolleyes:

Whatever comparing a product when you have not even tried it yet?

I have no reason to bash any OS, there are tools to do my work on, I have no reason to take either side as long as the work is completed, so keep you single minded opinions on OSes to yourself. :rolleyes:

All I said was iWork is not out yet and it is not on PAR to Office. You do not have to make this an issue. :rolleyes:
Gotta love the roll eyes feature, probably my personal favorite.

As for the upgrade to Office, once again it is 3x the amount of iWork, running you a good $239.

As for my opinions on OSes, if I recall correctly (scrolls up) I made no mention of OSes, so I will disregard that comment.

As for telling me I shouldn't compare software that isn't out yet, I suppose that is somewhat fair. I'm basing my opinions with a bias, considering first version of Pages will be as good as Keynote when it first came out. But on the other hand you said not to compare items that have not come out but you specifically say "iWork is not out yet and it is not on PAR to Office." Looks like me both might have to wait till the 22nd to resume this conversation ;).

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
sethypoo said:
Ok, to bring this thread to it's original topic, I need a straight answer to this question:

Can Pages fill in an existing PDF file (such as a 1040 tax form) downloaded from a website and then save that file to my computer?

When I say "form" I mean a form that has blank spaces to fill in information.
To be honest, I don't think you will find an answer. Pages site raves about editing Word and other text formats, but just talks about creating PDF's. You need to either find someone who was at MacWorld who played with it or just wait till the 22nd when it ships.

jon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.