iWork '06 on iBook G3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jakubpawlowicz, Apr 26, 2006.

1. jakubpawlowicz macrumors newbie

Apr 15, 2005
    Cracow, Poland

I'm going to buy the iWork 06 Family Pack soon.
    I'm wondering if it is possible to install it on my old iBook G3 800 with a CD drive?
    I want to do this by booting my iBook in Target Disk Mode, connecting it to my MacBook Pro and installing iWork on the iBook's disk from the MBP.

Has anyone tried this with iWork '06?

2. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    No, but it officially won't work on a G3 anyway. You could give it a go, but it does take up 1.85GB of disk space. Looking at Mactracker, you would have between 30 and 60GB of space, more likely the 30Gb though and that's a lot to lose in one shot.

Give it a go anyway, but it may not run and grind your system to a halt anyway.

Edit: Oh and you would have had 128MB ram with your iBook. I am assuming you have upgraded this anyway, but since you need Panther or Tiger to run '06, you need a minimum of 256MB. I'd even say you need at least 512MB to see it run comfortably/at all. Just to point it out in case this was overlooked.
  3. jakubpawlowicz thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 15, 2005
    Cracow, Poland
    Actually my old iBook runs Tiger and has 640 MB of RAM and 30GB hard disk, so there shouldn't be a problem.
    But I'm wondering if the installer application would allow me to install iWork on external disk? Maybe I should make a dmg image of the installation DVD and run it straight from the iBook?
    I've tried installing the iLife '06 on external disk but the installer refuses to do so.

Any thoughts?