iWork '06 (Pages 2) to make an invitation?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buffalo, May 27, 2006.

1. buffalo macrumors 65816

I'd like to make invitations for my mom's 50th birthday party.

Would Pages be a nice choice to make it with? I have Office but I thought I could use my 30-day trial of iWork (that came with iLife 06) to make a better looking invitation than Office. Could it, or would Office be the better choice since I have no experience with Pages?

I think the invitation would be regular paper sized.

Thanks for any tips/advice!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

When you start up Pages, one of the categories is Invitations, and the selections there look pretty decent. I'd suggest trying it and only resorting to Word if you can't get good results with Pages.

I use Word often for work, but I think Pages is more oriented towards what you want to do than is Word.

3. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks!

Before I pop in the disk and start using the trial, is there anywhere (links?) I could see one of the samples? I didn't see anything on the Apple website.

4. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Never mind,

I just opened up my expired trial of '05 Pages and found I could still open and create documents but not save and print.

5. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

a side question about Pages...

When using a template are you supposed to delete the jibberish words and replace them with your own or is there a blank template to simply put in the information you would like?

[EDIT] and by blank template I mean the same invitation (or whatever...) format with out the words

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm pretty sure the '06 Trial lets you save. It's been a while since I bought iWork, but I do think the trial allowed a save. Here is a movie of the selections (to give you some idea), and here is a screenshot of one of the invites:

[​IMG]

The fake words are there but selected - you just replace them. And you can add new words, etc. - the templates are just starting places which you can enhance.

7. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

I can't save because the trail is long expired. During the 30 days I was able to save and do everything normally.

Thanks for the screen shot and movie. Just what I wanted to see