iwork 06 vs office for mac 04 student edition

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nickkelbackk, Jul 28, 2006.

1. nickkelbackk macrumors member

I am looking to buying a macbook august third (tax free day) and I am either doing to need iwork or office and I do know which one is better so if you could please shed some insight on this subject that would be great thanks

2. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I have both and to be honest the only thing I use iWork for is keynote, I used to give loads of presentations at University and this was a great program. For the rest I used Word and Excel. PowerPoint is okay though as well.

So if someone said which one... well IMO I would go for Microsoft Office 2004!!

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think the iwork suite is very capable. I can't speak to compatability. But...if you're a student I would say iwork because I think the docs are docs and power points (providing you ensure your images are embedded and saved I guess) will work as well.
    I do have office though and that is because it's just the standard...that's it.

4. SwitchedBack2XP macrumors member

from someone who used both i say use iwork

office is amazing, but rosetta is slow as dog ***** when running it. i mean i have office running snappier on my 800 MHz thinkpad from 2001 then my old 20 inch Intel iMac with 2 gigs of RAM mind you

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

There are a bunch of threads on this topic already, which might save you some time. Try searches for iWork and Office and you should come up with a bunch.

Without knowing your needs I really can't help much. If a spreadsheet is necessary Office is your only choice right now. Otherwise, I'd say go for iWork.

6. deepy macrumors regular

i dont have a mac but.....i was in an apple shop playin with a macbook. clicked on the MS Word icon at the bottom and it started bouncing up and down. I was thinkin "what the crap is it doin that for?" and then aaaaages later, the word windows started popping up. Was that rosetta taking ages to load it?

7. deepy macrumors regular

wow...never expected it to be THAT slow! I'm guessing it was a standard macbook. how much faster does a 1gb RAM upgrade make it? is it any faster using parallels desktop or something and running a windows version of office?

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

that's pretty slow. last time i checked, dog **** didn't move very fast, if at all.

if it's one or the other, i'd get office since it's the standard and you might want to share files with friends/classmates. why not get both? iwork is only $50 at the edu store.

9. garethh macrumors regular

Word may make a few seconds to load up, but I've never noticed it being particularly slow when using it.

10. Ripmax2000 macrumors regular

I find Office runs fine on Rosetta, no slow down at all that I can see. I'm sure as it is running in emulation is is slower, but seeing as Office is not CPU intensive I find it runs perfect.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Office is not the "standard," it just happens to be a product that a lot of people use. There's a big difference between these concepts. Use what you prefer; don't let anyone convince that you must use a product just because a lot of other people do. Every Mac user should intuitively understand this idea.

12. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

<off topic slightly>
    do you think apple will release iWork 07 before Office 07 (universal) is available?
    it would be a smart move.

13. rot@ti.org macrumors newbie

iWork vs. Office

Pages is as good as Word if not better for many purposes. Keynote is better than PowerPoint for everything except making prerecorded shows. Both can open and save files in Office formats.

You need Office only if you plan to use a spreadsheet as iWork does not have a spreadsheet yet. (It can make charts and arithmetic in tables, but don't expect anything fancy like trig, stats, or database.) If you don't need a spreadsheet, save your dollars and get iWork.

14. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

Some random place outside of Fort Worth, TX
    I second this for sure...and better still, if you can wrangle up a cheap copy of office somehow (ie. edu discounts maybe? Haven't looked.), it wouldn't hurt to have both.

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have both on my MBP.

I need Office for work computability (Word, mostly) and to use Excel and Entourage.

However, I use iWork whenever possible. Keynote is excellent. Pages is less impressive to me (seems more layout oriented than document oriented, but that's just MHO and I still like the app) but still perfectly useful. I suspect iWork '07 is where it'll all be ready for prime time.

16. Aika macrumors regular

Aika

Your Macbook will come with trial versions of iWork and Office 2004 so you can decide for yourself which you like best. iWork is a bit unfinished and Office 2004 is not intel native and may be overkill for your needs anyway.

Also consider NeoOffice. You could get early access to their upcoming big release early for $25 or $10 via their early access program. That's quite a saving on what you would pay for Office 2004! :)

17. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

iWork!!!!

iWork rules!!! I don't even know how to use office, it is confusing, and slow and ugly!

And besides, I HATE supporting MS:D

18. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

uhm.. mine didn't?

as to which i like best: i prefer office. i used keynote for classes quite a bit, but for anything else, it's office for me. unfortunately, with it not yet being a UB, i haven't yet loaded it onto this machine (i'm too impatient, heh).

i'd suggest getting a "free" office program (NeoOffice is a UB) until Microsoft releases the new suite that is UB, and then switching to that.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If iWork is "a bit unfinished," then I guess that means that Office will never be finished.

The moral of the story: If you wait for software to be "finished," you'll end up buying nothing.

20. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Or OpenOffice.org is free (though last I checked only available for intel in french)

21. Aika macrumors regular

Aika

The current release of NeoOffice is free, multi-lingual and intel native. The upcoming big release will be free come the end of august too: the early access program is to drum up donations really :) I really don't recommend OpenOffice on OS X... it's not a nice experience.

22. Aika macrumors regular

Aika

Then you can just download the trial off Microsoft's website, the result is the same :) My intel iMac came with it pre-installed so I just assumed other Macs had it also.

23. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Word is not standard, that's like assuming IE is standard so you must have it on your Mac to be able to communicate with the rest of the world. The standard for sending any document electronically is pdf format and Pages creates pdf's flawlessly.

I used Word since day one, but upon release of iWork I started using Pages. Pages is a very capable application and a lot more powerful than most people give it credit for. I find Pages far simpler and logical to use than Word and have prepared countless documents with it such as letters, reports, manuals, etc.

I look forward to iWork '07 and will get it as soon as it is released. I don't have MS Office on my Mac anymore, it's bloated and cumbersome.

24. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

25. nickkelbackk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies but as I dont really need a spreadsheet I am doing to get iwork 06 until MS office is UB then I will get Microsoft office as pretty much everybody uses it. thanks