iWork 06

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr. MacBook, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

Will the iWork's word processor be able to open up Microsoft word programs(and will microsoft word open iWork programs).

My dad also wants to use Keynote for work, will it be able to open MS powerpoint things(and vice versa)

Thanks.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You need to make sure you save/export things from iWork as Word or PowerPoint formats as appropriate in order for the Office programs to be able to read files generated in iWork.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you haven't bought it yet, I'd wait a while to see if iWork '07 comes out soon if you don't need it now.

That said... Pages (the iWork word processor) will open Word docs and can save to Word format. Word won't open Pages files, though. Likewise with Keynote - it can read/write PowerPoint, but not vice versa.

Compatibility isn't 100%, but it's pretty good.

4. Mr. MacBook thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Moonjump macrumors newbie

There is one problem that I am having that the OP may wish to know about, but perhaps someone can solve it for me.

I recently switched and have edited or printed several existing Word documents in Pages. The problem is that text that fitted onto a single page in Word, overflows onto the next in Pages. It happens on pages that include images, and on those that don't. It also happens on pages that have or don't have headers / footers.

This is a problem if I want to send out Word documents and cannot be sure of correct formatting.

6. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

The most common reason is a difference in fonts. Even if the fonts on both computers have the same names, they may not be from the same foundry. Even fonts with the same name from the same foundry can be different if one is a Mac font & the other a PC font. You can get around this by using PC fonts on your Mac.

To be sure the recipient sees what you intended, export your Pages document as a PDF & send that.

Also, Macs display at 72 dpi, PCs at 96 dpi, which can account for a lot of the difference.

7. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Remember that Word is a text processing program, not a layout program. You can depend on it to preserve your text and mark-up and fix things like orphaned words or lines, but not to produce a document that is pixel-identical on every platform. Font versions and other typographical details may vary from user to user and system to system.

Produce documents that are simply and properly structured so you don't have to worry about layout. If preserving a particular page break is vital, leave ample margin for an extra line or two.

If consistent layout on every platform is important, you should be producing PDF documents, not Word documents. Pages is ideal for producing both.

8. Moonjump macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies. I had thought of using PDFs, but I do some contract work where more edits might be needed after I have finished, so it has to be Word.

The other problem is my CV. It has to be in Word format and I can just get all the info onto 2 pages in Word, but it leaves space in Pages. Any edits in Pages could mean problems in Word.

I'll try importing all my PC fonts as suggested. I can see why that would work.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Out of curiosity, why does your vita need to be in Word format?

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I export to .doc with Pages, and then edit it with NeoOffice...

11. Manfred macrumors newbie

Do any of you know whether iWork06 can import or export WordPerfect documents?

Thanks.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Neither, sorry. Another orphaned format.

13. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

what he said. I like Neo Office a lot. means I could delete that MS abortion Office! I dont want it on my iMac!

Making PDF's used to be a really big deal and meant asking adobe pretty please and buying software. I think PDF's are pretty neat myself.