Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
In Pages ´09, Is there a way to have the Headings before the TOC (in a thesis: Abstract, Acknowledgements) included in the TOC?

The TOC refuses to include items that are higher up in the document than the TO itself. I even tried inserting a second TOC at the very top of my thesis (before the Abstract) and it correctly listed the TOC and Acknowledgements. But When I cut and paste it on front of the main TOC, it becomes empty.

:-(

I want something like

Abstract ii
Acknowledgements iii
1. Abbreviations and Symbols 1
2. Introduction 3

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Sorry to bump and old post but I need to do what MrCrawbar wanted to do.

Anyone have any ideas?

In Pages ´09, Is there a way to have the Headings before the TOC (in a thesis: Abstract, Acknowledgements) included in the TOC?

The TOC refuses to include items that are higher up in the document than the TO itself. I even tried inserting a second TOC at the very top of my thesis (before the Abstract) and it correctly listed the TOC and Acknowledgements. But When I cut and paste it on front of the main TOC, it becomes empty.

pinkangelpoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
Table of Contents Issue

Also completing my thesis due in a couple of weeks and encountered the same problem regarding sections and different numbering styles.

After fidgeting around with it for a number of days I randomly went into insert and then auto page numbers in the tool bar above and I was able to work it a lot easier.

Don't know if that is of any help - but it fixed my little problem.

Best of luck :)

samjayne7

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
You can use different numbering in different sections (Insert > Section Break). Just in the section you're in (you can't be in the footer, keep the cursor in the main page), open the inspector and go over to the "Layout" tab, then click "Section" and you'll see the option "Use previous headers and footers." Simply uncheck this box and you can use different numbering systems for each section.

For some reason this hasn't worked for me. After inserting a section break after my 'roman numeral' pages, I go to insert the new set of page numbers in arabic numerals, and it changes the roman numerals too! Why is this happening?

Edit: Nevermind, I realised that when going to Insert>Auto page number... I had "document" selected for "show in..." when I should've selected "section".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.