iWork $30 surcharge

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wordmunger, May 24, 2006.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I just bought the iWork family pack — not a bad deal — just $99 for the whole household. However, I was frustrated to learn about the $30 surcharge. You see iWork requires Quicktime 7 to install. I’ve already paid an extra $30 to have Quicktime 6 Pro on my iBook. I don’t want to pay the $30 to upgrade to version 7 — version 6 works fine.

Now I have a choice: either I don’t install iWork on my iBook, do without Quicktime Pro, or pony up the extra $30.

(cross-posted on Wordmunger.com)

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Have you found yourself not using Word any longer?

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You need Quicktime Pro.

iWork requires Quicktime 7 (Pro or not).

iWork does not require Quicktime 7 Pro.

Correct?

I'm not saying it doesn't stink... but I just didn't want people to get the impression that iWork requires Quicktime 7 Pro.

4. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

I still have to use word occasionally -- mostly for "track changes" (iWork won't even open change-tracked documents). But I really much prefer Pages for writing: Finally, a word processor that actually keeps pace with your typing!

I'll even compose in Pages and export to .doc for Pages-impaired colleagues.

5. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yes, you're right. Pro isn't required. I just want to have Pro on at least one of my computers. I don't need 7 pro, just *any* pro version, so I can edit QT files.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Question: (yes, I'm being lazy) - can you go to .doc and the other way around?

7. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yes, you can go both ways ;)

However, if you open a .doc file, it opens in a new untitled window. If you edit the file, you have to re-export it to .doc format. Slightly annoying.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I may have to change. Word is the only thing I use in Office. :rolleyes:

9. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Change Gary! I switched from Office to iWork after iWork 06 came out, best thing I ever did.

10. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Steering back on topic...

Is there a way to install two versions on QuickTime? Or because its an app built right into the OS can you not do that? With normal applications I presume you can just have two different versions in two different locations.. but here. I don't know.

Bit of a bugger really.

11. sahnert macrumors 6502

Maybe you can keep QT6 pro on an external HD because you don't need it to be integrated with the system and install QT7 on the main HD.
    Seems like it should work okay...

12. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think I might try that. Actually what I'm going to try is downloading QT7 while moving QT6 to a different folder and renaming. Then I'll install iWork, trash QT7, restore QT6, and see if iWork still works. I think the only thing that requires QT7 is Keynote, which I won't need on that computer.

But Keynote won't even let you install without having QT7.

13. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I have Preview 3.0.4 and 2.1.0 so I'm sure you can have multiple embedded OS apps. Just be careful that the update doesn't search the drive to find QT 6, wherever it might be hiding/moved to.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Question: Where are you finding an application called "QuickTime"?

15. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

iGary just as an FYI i would keep office on your computer as a just in case. Sometimes exporting to microsoft formats wether it be XLS, PPT, DOC sometimes it will screw the formating up.

Main one for me is exporting from neooffice to XLS and from keynote to PPT.

16. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Uh-oh...

and this is after I moved QuickTime to a different folder and changed its name!

Attached Files:

• qt.gif
      qt.gif
      File size:
      16.1 KB
      Views:
  17. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

DISCLAIMER: Please don't follow the below suggestions unless someone who knows more than I confirms. I'm not an expert on this and am just throwing out some thoughts that might seed further discussion of what could be done.

It may just be seeing Quicktime 6 Pro in your Receipts folder. You might be able continue the installation and still be able to use 6 Pro. Or deleting the receipt might allow you to do it.

18. ziutek macrumors member

Try using "Pacifist" to install iWorks.
    It bypasses the dafault installer and it's checks and you might be able to get the programs to work without installling the newer version of quicktime.
    Here's the link to Pacifist: http://www.charlessoft.com/

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the problem is that the most recent version of Quicktime you install owns all the quicktime components in /system/library/quicktime ... this is the specific reason you can't just run an old version of Quicktime from an alternate location like you can run an old version of Firefox from an alternate location.

21. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Wow... thanks! Unfortunately that link doesn't work any more, but I found it in the Google cache. All I had to do was copy QT 6 pro from my iBook to my iMac. Now I have Pro functionality on my iMac (which I didn't have before) and I can upgrade to QT 7 on the iBook. Apparently some of the QT 7 features won't work any more, but I can play QT 7 movies and edit/export on the iMac, which is all I need to do.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm a little confused here. I'm still trying to figure out where you find QuickTime. Are you talking about the QuickTime Player?

23. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yes, QuickTime Player. Most people just call it "QuickTime" -- including Apple. But oddly, the app on the computer is called "QuickTime Player."

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Again ... (sorry for re-referring to my own post)... when you install Quicktime, you install the player and the plug-ins and codecs and so on. The player is just the container that displays a QT file when it isn't bundled into another application. But the rest of QT is used inside iTunes, iMovie, Safari, and so on, without ever calling the player app.

25. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Ah, so that's the distinction. So apparently what I'm doing is running Quicktime 7 with QuickTime Player 6. Which means I still get the pro features I paid for -- which is fine with me!