iWork or AppleWorks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jota73, Feb 22, 2007.

1. jota73 macrumors 6502

jota73

Guys
    I need some advise, I own a Mackbook (inter 2 core duo) and an iMac 1.83 17". the last one I have installed Office for Mac, and well is nice, but not that much...

I was wondering what would be best?

1. Buying appleworks? (and how many computers could I install this?)
    2. Buying iWorks? (same question plus, in my iMac I erased the folder that had iWork... how would I istall if I by the serial number? would I need buying more than one license if installing it in my two computers?
    3. Not buying anything else ad stay with Office for mac?

I appreciate your feedback

Juan

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Get iWork... unless you need a spreadsheet program. Apple Works has had it's heyday.
    Theoretically, you can install iWork on as many computers as you want (there is nothing to stop you), but I'm not sure what the software agreement is. I think installing it on the computers that you own should be fine.
    Also, you might want to wait until iWork 07 comes out.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

4. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Appleworks is completely dead, it's only PowerPC, not universal. Get iWork.

6. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

iWork and Google Docs/Sheet are a great combo. MS Office if you write serious stuff and I mean like books or uni thesis.

My daughter messes with Appleworks but thats about the lot these days. Still was great and did me proud for years. Most people forget that it could also do database work. I remember making a music dbase long befor iTunes - although mine did not actuall play any music :D

Open Office is great and costs nothing.

Pen and paper for your loved ones.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The last major update to AppleWorks was almost seven years ago now, with the last update of any sort coming over three years ago. It's dead, Jim.

The iWork suite is making headway, and hopefully the next release will come soon and will include a spreadsheet app. Until then, there's no hope of me switching from Office.

There are also some free alternatives like NeoOffice that you might want to check out.

8. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't bother with AppleWorks - it really is rather grim. I found the Word compatability to be somewhat lacking.

Office 2003 works nicely in Parallels, with Coherence mode.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Definitely check out NeoOffice. I'm using NeoOffice right now, but will probably get Office:mac 08

10. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

AppleWorks & iWork (single user) have the basic Apple software user license that states the software can exist on only one computer at a time. iWork also comes in a family pack with five licenses. Although there is no "phoning home" to stop you from installing on more than one Mac at a time, to be legal you should have a license for each computer the software is installed on.

11. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

sorry to interrupt but your avatar reminds me of the ladies at The Palais :D