iWork or MS Office

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Guitarius, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

So. I'm going to pre-order Tiger. As I was surfing around the Apple Store, I got to thinking. I thought "You know, I need an office suite. Neo Office, though good, just doesn't have that 100% compatibility that I need." And I was looking at either iWork or MS Office, and I was wondering what you guys think I should go with. iWork will save me a good deal of money, but since I'm one of three Mac users I know, MS Office may be a safer thing to go with.

What would you all suggest?

2. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Get MS Office it is far superior than iWork. :)

If you're a student you can get the Edu. discount.

3. Logik macrumors 6502a

I'd go with MS Office, if you'er a student, check with your university or college and see if they offer any different pricing. I got Office 2004 for $45 at my uni, as opposed to the $130-150 for the educational box. Do some research on pricing before ya buy.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ditto on the recommend for Office 04, especially since you mentioned compatibility as your main concern. Also ditto on the looking for site-licenses. At my previous school, it was $80, as opposed to the $130 student edition (this was for Office.X around Dec 03). The only caveat is that you probably will not be able to re-sell it, should you ever want to (my cds say "not valid for retail" on them, and something about requiring a separate license).

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I choose the Apple product every time, because I love Apple, but go with Office. iWork is not just there yet, if it ever will be.

6. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I have both and nothing in iWork makes me want to change. I'm very pleased with MS Office.

7. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

MS office is so worth it, it's even nicer and has more to offer than widows does. :)

8. deral macrumors regular

deral

I use both. I've always been in love with Keynote, so I hardly-never use Pages. I can't stand Microsoft PPT, but can't live without my Mic Word.

Sure, Mic Office seemed the most safest, so get that. But if you have zero-to-no budgeting skills get both.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Keynote is amazing. IMO its a hair above powerpoint. But...iWork is not a word processor. People use it as such, but its really for layouts. Also, there is nothing like excel.

10. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

For word processing go with Office but if you do alot of presentations
    get a copy of Keynote it is far superior to PPT , easier to use, and nicer looking. Pages is good for playing with layout after you have typed out the text. I use both Office ( Student Disc. ) and iWork , just depend on what you need it for.