iWork Pages documents showing up as folders

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 12ibookg4, Feb 17, 2005.

1. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2003
    When I upload a filename.pages document to my web server, it appears as a folder. Inside the folder is a file called index.xml.gz and a folder called "Contents" with PkgInfo and a folder called "thumbs" with tiffs of the document preview.
    Does anyone know how I can get my webserver to recognize the .pages file as a file and not a folder?
  2. Logik macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004

you will probably have to zip the files. Pages uses that format for their "saved documents" ... it doesn't have just one saved file.. it creates a folder and associates the .pages extension to the Pages application. similar to how applications are setup.. they aren't one file, they're a folder ApplicationName.app for example. Just somethin you'll have to deal with
  3. 12ibookg4 thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2003
    so there is nothing that I can set on my web sever so it knows that .pages is a document extension and not just part of a name of a folder?
  4. Jason_Bryan macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Just a couple of questions.
    Are you saving the pages document as HTML files?
    Are you up loading the files just to be archived to or assessed from your web page?
    If you Control Click the .page file you want to have stored and select Create archive it will produce a .zip file.
  5. 12ibookg4 thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2003
    i'm just uploading the files to back them up and also so I can access them while I'm away from my main computer like at school.
  6. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    I agree with Logik, the best way is to make a zip file. Remember, you can just right-click (or ctrl-click) on the .pages file and choose "Create archive of..." and there is your zip file. It will also make it faster to up/download.