iWork (Pages) Equation Editor, Expression Calculator?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Max on Macs, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Hi guys,

While Microsoft Office 2004 does run reasonably well on these new Intel macs, sometimes it hangs and Microsoft doesn't seem to care. And I was like, well fine I'll give iWork a try. Keynote is awesome, does all I need it to and very easy to use. Pages is very nice too, better and easier to use than Word for everything except one important thing. At college I need to be able to write equations out properly. I have MathType for Mac and that works pretty well with Word, but it doesn't integrate at all with Pages. Is there anything simillar to MathType that integrates with Pages? Or better still, a way to integrate MathType with pages?

Also, I need a good calculator, again for college. My classmates use AllerCalc (www.allersoft.com) which is a free program for Windows. That's the problem though, it's only available for Windows. I have downloaded the trial of Mathematica for Mac (whew, good on them, they got a Universal binary out!) and it works very well. The problem I have with it is that we aren't allowed to use it in exams because it can do so much for you, so whenever an exam comes up I have to borrow a PC laptop which is quite frustrating. Don't suggest Windows on Mac please, I'm after a Mac solution :)

Thanks

2. aegisdesign macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with using Grapher? It's included with OSX 10.4 in the Applications->Utilities folder?

You can copy from that and paste straight into Pages.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Grapher's equation editing capabilities are extremely limited.

4. CheZChaZ macrumors newbie

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd give another vote for LaTeXiT, an excellent application, though you need to learn TeX but learning TeX makes it a hell of a lot quicker to type equations. You also need to install a copy of LaTeX

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MathEQ does beautiful equations. However, I have yet to figure out how to do proper baseline adjustment for inline equations in Pages.