iWork Pages file compatibility?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slipper, Sep 14, 2005.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

i was just screwing around on iWork since ive never really had a chance to mess around with it yet. and i managed to make a pretty decent looking flyer. i know most printers would probably not have iWork Pages, so im just curious if the files are compatible with other programs.

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you could always make a PDF file to take to the printer

3. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

In Pages or Keynote under File go to Export and you'll have a bunch of options as to files types to export to. I've had some problems going from Pages to Word with keeping pictures and text lined up exactly the way it was in Pages, though overall it's pretty good.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

PDF is the way to go, absolutely. PDF is the "lingua franca" of the printing industry these days, unless you're talking about high-end print jobs. BTW, printing the file to a PDF seems to produce more efficient files than using the PDF export in Pages. I can't imagine why, but it's true.

5. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

RTF is also always a good cross platform format.

PDF is a true metafile format, allowing merging of many different file formats into one. This does make it a bulky format, but it is truly cross platform and wysiwyg. The PDF is really powerful. Pretty much any kind of formatting along with media information can be stored in a PDF. For instance, color profiles can be incorporated with document to insure optimal presentation (for printing). Adobe still offers online PDF conversion if you happen not to be able to create a PDF. (if your using an old text processer on OS 9 for instance), As everybody knows everybody has access to Adobe Reader for viewing PDFs. While the online service has all sorts of caviats, it is able to work with all sorts of file formats during the conversion.

RTF (rich text format) is not a meta file format, but it is a fairly universal format. I can't think of any modern word processors that can't decode this format on Windows (98 and better), Mac (10-), or Sun's Solaris OS. RTF is mostly wysiwyg, but as some formatting is not savable, but for the most part this isn't necessary. For most documents RTF is really the way to go, but that's just my opinion. Oddly, M$ created the format and probely dosn't use it as a default as anybody can decode and encode RTF documents with out paying M$ a dime. The Wav file format is the same, as well as a number of other standards and protocols that have become the defacto standard.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

RTF is a very useful format, I agree, but not for sending to a printer.