iWork Screenshots

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 16, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Pages looks so amazing. I'm so glad to be free of MS without settling for AppleWorks. This app hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as the mini, but it will have a lot more impact on our Mac experience.

3. macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm really looking forward to iWork. Keynote needed an upgrade (even though I still use it over Powerpoint 2004) and I've already though of a myriad of uses for Pages.

4. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, I can't wait to try out Pages.

The local grammar department says: :rolleyes: It's just 'myriad,' not 'a myriad of.' Think of using it interchangeably with 'many.'

I'm not really trying to nitpick, I just learnt this a little while ago and now it kind of jumps out at me! :eek:

5. macrumors 6502

Pages look great, but I wonder how useable it is without template support.

6. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And the local spelling/typo-notice department says: We think you meant 'thought' and not 'though'.

(Sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

7. macrumors 6502a

I can't resist getting embroiled in a grammar debate. ;)

According to dictionary.com, it can and has been used as a noun. However, you're correct in that it seems that it's mainly used as an adjective nowadays:

Anyway, iWork looks really interesting, but I think I'll have to play around with it myself for a bit. I'm used to MS Word, and it doesn't seem like there's the same sort of toolbars in Pages? Like, where is the bold / italic / underline, the font pull-down menu, etc.? What, are they going for simplicity or something? ;) It'll definitely be worth a good look once it's out.

8. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well you learn something everyday, don't you? In the most unexpected places, too...

irmongoose

9. macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm going with dotnina on this one! I'm old school ;)

Although I must bow down to the local spelling/typo-notice department. I did mean thought.

And now perhaps back to iWork... :p

10. macrumors 68040

maya

Looking forward to both programs.

Pages has all the controls such as underline, bold, scratch off, etc... its under the "A" icon/button. :) Its just not shown in those screen shots. :)

11. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Ah OK, I didn't know that. It's always risky to point out grammar errors!

12. macrumors 6502

Agreed. Its a double edged sword. Let him... cast the first stone...

13. macrumors 6502

What are you talking about?! At the Pages page, the four main sections describing the product are "Word Processor", "Page Designs", "Templates", and "Compatibility". Check http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/templates.html

14. macrumors regular

I think he means to ask how useable it is when starting from a blank page.

15. macrumors 603

solvs

I'm sure it's fine. Just like using Textedit, but probably not as good as Word. Probably easier, though.

16. macrumors 6502a

macridah

Those apps are going to be winners. I picking up an academic copy of that this bad boy saturday (jan 22). Some apple stores are going to open early and have an event for the mac mini release ... iWork will also be available.

17. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm still wondering if I'll be able to find a use for Pages... seems like such a waste if Apple makes software I don't buy :p

18. macrumors 68020

srobert

I'm curious about how well "importing" and "exporting" to Microsoft Word works and if it multiple imports/exports back and forth can damage or mess up a file. i.e.: Can 2 people, one using word and one using page work on a same document many times in turns without screwing up the file too much? I guess we'll have to try.

19. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

In the keynote, I noticed a lack of "Paperclip Guy Banging On The Screen". What use is it, if Pages leaves out such an important word processing feature.

20. macrumors 6502

Version 1 of anything is probably going to suck, Pages included. Keynote2 at least should be very polished.

21. macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

I'm definitely looking forward to Pages replacing both Word and TextEdit in my dock (it's a win-win-win there).

I'm really interested in how several of the templates look particularly weblog-ish (or at least webpage-ish) and how exactly that will work HTML exporting. At the very least, it looks like Pages will offer some really nice basic GUI site building, but it would be really nice if I could take one of the templates, manipulate to my liking, and use it in a more dynamic web environment (such as a MT blog, et cetera).

Either way, I'm already getting odd ideas of how to use some of Pages' snazzier features (oh yeah, and the word processing :p).

But how will I know when it looks like I'm writing a letter now?!

22. macrumors 68030

munkle

Keynote v1 certainly didn't suck. Might have begun to show its age recently but certainly did not suck.

23. macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

24. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

It is my understanding that Pages does not have an "export to HTML" feature, so you're gonna be SOL in that regard.

25. macrumors 68030

munkle

Check out pic from apple:

Attached Files: