iWork Trial Version

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MmmPancakes, May 13, 2005.

1. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Has anyone tried to IWrok trial version that came with Tiger? What are the limitations of the trial? How long? I have MS Office, so I can't yet decide on IWork.

2. muzikool macrumors member

I have used the Pages app of iWork a few times and must say that I will wait for v2.0 before purchasing it. Going from a mature word processor like Word to a new one like Pages, you will notice some features are missing or don't function the way you know they should. Apple is sure to improve it greatly for the next major release.

3. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

That seems to be the concensus of everyone I've talked to about this. It's really sad because I want iWork, especially Pages, to work SO well and so much better than Word, but no matter how hard I try I just find it counterintuitive. I've heard sales of iWork have been pretty dismal, also.

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

the trial is 30 days. no limitations i don't think.

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

6. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

This is weird, but the trial version that came with my Tiger box caused lockups- almost immediately... As soon as I dumped it all was well again...I found it odd, but I just figured something was corrupted on my iWork disk, or file...

7. E-macculat macrumors newbie

E-macculat

i just installed it and it works fine
    when you start for the first time he asks to purchase it or not...
    i must say that i'm satisfied about the program and that i'm thinking about purchasing it.....
    its a lot better then office.... at least i think so (++)
    :eek:

8. efoto macrumors 68030

I was given iWork and I must say that I find Keynote to be amazing, much better IMO than Powerpoint was/is. Pages however, is a different story in my usage. As stated it just seems like a new program that is not all that intuitive. Hopefully by version 2.0 they will have greatly improved it and make it real competition for Word and the Office back.

Are there, or has there ever been, rumor of an Excel style program coming from Apple. We now have 'word' and 'powerpoint'....

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I must be one of the few that actually likes Pages. I still use Word for my word-processing needs but load up Pages when I need to whip up a leaflet/brochure/poster etc. I regard Pages as more of a desktop publishing app than a word processor and in that regard it performs admirably. I find Word too cumbersome to perform such needs and haven't got the inclination to learn how to use InDesign. Combined with the gem that is Keynote, I'm more than happy with iWork.

10. Sox macrumors regular

I actually just purchased the iWork key after using the trial version this past week at work. I'm able to use the educational discount, so the $49 is worth it, simply for Keynote. I use Powerpoint almost daily (communications internship) and Keynote is far superior.

I was hoping that Pages would be a little stronger as far as pagination/desktop publishing and be a cheap alternative to Quark/InDesign. Maybe the next version will be more robust. I need to play with it a little more.

11. efoto macrumors 68030

On a quick Keynote question....are there sites that allow the download of additional templates and transitions for cheap/free? (mostly templates as the transitions are already many).

I found one site while looking for other software that had a Keynote Pack that you could purchase but it was $79USD which kind of turned me off so I never read what was included.

12. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Keynote Pro has some very good themes, at a cost though. There are some samples available to download so you give that a go.

There are a couple of free themes here as well.

13. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Pages is my friend

Topic #1 - IWork vs. iWork - I say, if it's at the beginning of a sentence, the writer can make the call. And jeers to Apple (for .Mac and iStuff), Microsoft (.net), and certain Christians (who insist that if your god's name is God, his pronouns must get capsed) for bastardizing the English language when it's entirely unnecessary. :p

;)

Topic #2 - Pagination in Pages - It actually works, but the solution isn't pretty. I've actually dropped PageMaker for the publication of our catalog and have gone to Pages. If you want different column widths on each page, you're basically making each page its own Section and then telling each section to pick up where the numbering left off from the previous section. As I said, it's not pretty, but it beats working with PM or Quark!

Topic #3 - Pages as a DP app - I've actually gotten several raves about how much better this catalog looks than the ones I've previously put out. And this one took much less work on my part. The printer loves receiving the PDF file (you just have to avoid shadows, as that bug is still on the loose). And everything just feels cleaner and more natural. Will Version 2 be much better? Heck, yes. But is Version 1 a lost cause? Not if you're willing to trade in Quark's quirks for Pages' quirks. :)

Topic #4 - Pages vs. Word - As much as I love Pages, it's still not what I launch when I need to type up a quick letter. Primarily just because of its slowness in getting started (not to mention that some of the defaults are wacky - why on earth would I not want to default to being able to see the margins?) Personally, AppleWorks still gets called for that.

Topic #5 - To buy or not to buy - One word. Keynote. Even if it were the only app you were getting for the price, it would be worth it. Now that it has timing controls, it's ready for the prime time. :)

14. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Pages

Pages got me an A+ on my history project but I did that as like a historical newsletter - I think that the word processing functions of the program suck. And it double spaces things for no apparent reason.

15. Sox macrumors regular

Agreed. I'm flying by wire using Pages, having not read the manual. I LOVE the fact that you can export to PDF, but like all new programs, it'll take some getting used to. The trick is to give it a chance, which I think is difficult for a lot of people to do, since there are so many other apps out there that are more familiar. Hence the weak sales.

16. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

That's how I feel. Pages is terrible as a word processing application.

17. chipz macrumors member

iWork Trial Version

I have used Pages and it is a fair word processor. However, it is not up to the standards of MS Word. It's an app in production. It is good, but not excellent. As stated previosly in this thread, the trial is for 30 days and has no limitations.

18. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

You're not the only one. I really like Pages for what it's supposed to do, which is make clean layouts for documents. Perhaps I'm special (;)), but I've never had problems with Pages and it's done exactly what I've wanted it to do. I'm glad Apple's including a trial version of iWork with Tiger, so that people can test it out before buying.
    -Chase

19. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I think perhaps it's best to think of it this way:

Keynote vs PowerPoint
    Pages vs Publisher
    Text Edit/AppleWorks vs Word :)o)