iWork Updates are Here!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MimUK, Apr 26, 2006.

1. MimUK macrumors member

Apple have updated Pages to version 2.0.1 and Keynote to 3.0.1

Both via Software Update

Downloading Now :)

Pages 2.0.1 addresses issues with charts and image adjust. It also addresses a number of other minor issues.

This update to Keynote 3.0 addresses issues with three-dimensional charts and textures. It also addresses a number of other minor issues. This update should be installed on all computers that share your Keynote 3.0 files, so that textures display properly.

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Hopefully fixes processor hogging in Pages! It grinds the rest of your computer to a halt.. downloading now.

3. MimUK thread starter macrumors member

Thought they may have fixed the apple remote not working for non intel iMacs

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I hope it does address those charts it says it does. I have had a few crashes from making charts in pages.

5. devman macrumors 65816

devman

BEWARE! Since the update Pages crashes every time on a certain document I have. I was working on that document fine with Pages 2.0 but since the 2.0.1 update, Pages crashes every time I open that document.

Another document opens fine. I'm still testing to see if there's a pattern to this or why. i.e. is it only this one document or are there others that crash Pages as well.

Off to bugreport again. And I have to downgrade Pages.

EDIT:

Ok, the following Pages-supplied templates all crash since the update: Extreme, Sailing, Family, Non-Profit, Photo Journal and Education Newsletter.

These templates do not crash Pages 2.0.1: Modern, Club, Financial, Design, Travel.

I stopped testing at this point.

6. unfaded macrumors 6502

I like that the article on the front page says "iWorks"

AppleWorks + iWork = iWorks

7. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I really want to try out iWork, but Apple doesn't have a free trial on their site. :(

8. weazle1098 macrumors regular

weazle1098

If you live near a college campus it's only like 40$ so I couldn't afford not to buy it. And its wonderful, so definatly worth buying, especially at half price :D

9. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I love iWork, I ditched MS Office for it and have been using it extensively. The update hasn't effected me adversely.

Can't wait to see what Apple introduces to it next year.

10. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Downloading now...

I don't really use iWork but one day I hope to use Keynote. The thought of using Powerpoint when an application like Keynote already exists is a rather putrid one. Pages has never appealed to me in fact I don't think I've ever opened it. From what I can gather its not really that great though, well that's what I've heard people say on here. Its all abbout Keynote. That one app is worth the money.

11. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Yes! I've been waiting and wondering when Apple would update the software. :) I hope everything works fine with Pages.. I'm sure it will though.

12. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Can you try some of the templates I mentioned above in post #6 and let us know what happens?

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think you might want to at least launch Pages before you decide whether it appeals to you. You'll get plenty of positive comments about Pages around here. But let's not turn this into another one of those threads. I'm more interested to know whether the update is safe.

14. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Why we're on the subject of iWork:
    I get the feeling people don't like pages very much. I have to imagine its at least the same as appleworks when it comes to word processing. Well?

15. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

I just tried Extreme. Works fine. Are you on a PowerPC or Intel?

16. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I go to a county college, so I don't know if the school store would have one. I do have class in the morning, so I'll try to remember to check then. Thanks for the heads up! :)

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I don't mind it. It's not really a word processor per se - in want of a better moniker it's more of a document editor. Great for little projects like flyers, cards, letters, posters, quizzes, school reports etc (really nice templates). Kind of half-way between Word and Pagemaker.....it sits in a strange spot but i find it quite smooth for what it does.

18. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I find Pages to be quite well... it doesn't lack anything important really. It is a pain having to use Inspector to adjust settings and stuff..but that is it.. other than that I find it better than Office... because it automatically hyphenates words, which I find very convenient.

19. p0intblank macrumors 68030

How is Pages' interface compared to Word's? I've been using Word a bit lately and find it to be cluttered.

20. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Pages I find to be much cleaner (like all Apple apps) and less cluttered than Word... not as much features I guess, but I like it that way bc I only need simple word processing w/ occasional graphs... Pages is perfect for me. :)

21. devman macrumors 65816

devman

I'm on PPC 10.4.5.

The crash is something to do with ATSUI.

I have a laptop (also PPC) on 10.4.6 but still at Pages 2.0 and all docs there are fine.

2006-04-27 11:17:24.946 Pages[7334] Method: layoutLine: paramBlock :
    Object: <SFWPATSUITypesetter: 0x17ce2780>
    File: /SourceCache/iWork/iWork-474/lockbox/src/sfwordprocessing/SFWPATSUITypesetter.mm
    Line #: 622
    Bad result from ATSUBreakLine
    Pages(7334,0xa000ed68) malloc: *** Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x2abba00; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
    Pages(7334,0xa000ed68) malloc: *** Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x17c37e50; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
    2006-04-27 11:17:24.947 Pages[7334] Method: pCreateGlyphVectorForLineFragment:state:localStartCharIndex:localEndCharIndex:atPosition:lineFragEndPosition:
    Object: <SFWPATSUITypesetter: 0x17ce2780>
    File: /SourceCache/iWork/iWork-474/lockbox/src/sfwordprocessing/SFWPATSUITypesetter.mm
    Line #: 1252
    ATSUDirectGetLayoutDataArrayPtrFromTextLayout error
    Apr 27 11:17:25 crashdump[7337]: Pages crashed
    Apr 27 11:17:26 crashdump[7337]: crash report written to: /Users/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Pages.crash.log

22. ccool2ax macrumors member

Wow, another update for software i've had no problems with.

23. ccool2ax macrumors member

He's referring to the Apple Store Education Discount for college students.

24. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

My pages does not crash loading the themes mentioned by devman, i am running on PPC latest OS and latest everything else.

25. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Works now after a reboot. Here's my speculation.

After the security issues a while back, I changed my setup from a single account (user) to two OS X users. I created a new user and made that one an admin, and switched my original user (the one I use all the time) down to a standard user. This was following instructions on this forum a while back and this setup has worked well for me.

So, today I am logged in as my user (the standard user). I launch Pages and it tells me there is an update. I quit Pages and did a fast user switch to the admin user. As admin I ran Software Update and applied Pages, Keynote and Garageband updates. I then logout of the admin user and switch back to me (the standard user).

I then re-open Pages and the document I was working on and I got the crash.

An hour or so later, I rebooted the powermac. Low and behold, Pages now opens all documents fine.

So, somehow, something under the covers to do with ATSUI wasn't updated in that logged-in session. i.e. something in-memory. I speculate then that people using this two account setup should also log out of the standard account before logging in to the admin account to apply any updates. A fast user switch - even if you quit running apps - may not be enough.